WineXpert Luna Rossa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwisholland

Reaction score
Hello,

I started my first kit on 12/14/14 - Eclipse Lodi OVZ. I am bulk aging now, going for 6 months in carboy with Med plus French spirals, then in bottle for at least another 18 months.

I am itching to start another kit, and want some quicker results. I am intrigued by what I have read about Luna Rossa and that is may be ready to drink fairly quickly.

Anyone who has made this kit: Would you mind discussing your method: time in carboy, any tweaks, when do you bottle and when do you start drinking? Would you mind discussing your tasting notes at "6-weeks" vs. any you've held for longer?

Also any other recommendations on "early drinkers" in Reds.

I want to get a bunch of 2 year kits going, but I would like something not too terrible to drink sooner. Need to show my wife that this will be a beneficial hobby sooner than later. Its fun as hell for me now - I even like cleaning bottles at this point. I'm sure that will fade. :p

Thanks to all in advance.

Do you have access to cellar craft product? I found that the GSM with grape skins was really impressive early on. It is a 10L kit but produces in spades.

Thanks.

My LHBS only has WE kits, but I can order a CC from MoreWine or somewhere.

Would you mind describing your method and timing?

We made the Luna Rossa back in Jan. 2013, based on some of the reviews we'd seen. We made it mostly by the book, but without rushing through each step, then bulk aged about 6 months. At that point it was drinkable, but not all that great. It's gotten better with time, but we're now 2 years out and down to the last bottle. The last few bottles were noted as ok, but nothing special. There are much better kits to be had, without spending a whole lot more money per bottle. The WE Petit Verdot is the first WE kit that comes to mind as far as decent early drinkers. The bottom line is, be patient, wine takes time, good wine takes quality juice and even more time. Fill the gap with your favorite commercial offerings...

I kind of went by the book on this one, but boosted the SG to 1.100. I recall clarifying and stabilizing and resting two months before racking. So all in all 3 months before my first taste. I found it the least "kit taste" of all the kits I've made. I'd say I would be able to drink it at 6 months and not feel I missed out on more age, but in all honesty I then put it in a French barrel for 3 months and now it is full and round and I'm itching to bottle it! I made the WE GSM which is 15 liters I believe. Comparable but I think the skins in the CC brought a little more to the table. The WE just went into the barrel so in 3 months I'll have a side by side. I made the mezza Luna red and was very disappointed. Hopefully the Luna Rossa is a big step up.

Both the Selection Italian Brunello w/gs and the Selection Spanish Tempranillo w/gs are good early drinkers, like 3 to 6 months early.

I found the first year really tough. I was spending lots of time and money on making wine I wouldn't drink until the next year. Plus I still had to buy topping wine. And something to drink for a year.

Also consider dragon's blood and skeeter pee. Cider is quick too. All of these are ready in a few weeks.

I had a south African Chenin Blanc that was good at three to six months.

Early drinkers are the mist/breezin kits. They are designed to be consumed immediately, are sweet with moderate alcohol, but can be tweaked to be dryer and stronger, depending on what you and your wife like to drink. I didn't like the cranberry malbec, but have had a peach apricot chardonnay that I liked. I made the Seville orange sangria but have only used it for sangria punch in the summer, so not sure how it is on it's own. These take six weeks.

Heather

I second what heatherd said about the Island Mist kits being good early drinkers. Same is true of theOrchard Breezin kits. If you like moscato the WE World Vineyard California Moscato is good inexpensive wine that is an early drinker.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I have some now at the 6 month mark and I would not call it drinkable right now. I did do mine by the book.

My personal experience has been that the Shiraz 10 liter kits (WE) have been the quickest that were drinkable.

Back