WineXpert Luna Rossa calls for 30L carboy...23 OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texicus

Idiot With a Carboy
Reaction score
Hi there! I picked up a Winexpert Luna Rossa kit, and was going to start it last night...but the instructions call for a 30L primary, and I only have a 23L. Is it alright to use the 23? This will be my second kit, so I'm still pretty green in the hobby. Do they say to use a 30L so the airlock doesn't get clogged as easily? If this is the case, I could just set up a blowoff tube into a pail of sanitizer, correct?

Much appreciation!

I assume it's so you don't have a blowout through your airlock during primary fermentation. Do you have a fermenting bucket? You can use that for primary instead of a larger carboy. I think most are around 8 gallons, so you have plenty of room for foaming, etc. I don't think you'd want to start fermenting a 23 liter kit in a 23 liter vessel.

I do have a 23L fermenting bucket. I've used it for my previous wine kit and beer kits in the past - I've never noticed what size primary they've called for before!

Hi there! I picked up a Winexpert Luna Rossa kit, and was going to start it last night...but the instructions call for a 30L primary, and I only have a 23L. Is it alright to use the 23? This will be my second kit, so I'm still pretty green in the hobby. Do they say to use a 30L so the airlock doesn't get clogged as easily? If this is the case, I could just set up a blowoff tube into a pail of sanitizer, correct?

Much appreciation!
There are two fermenters used when fermenting a wine or beer. One is a loose lid either 30 liter bucket or a 10 gallon looks like a garbage can type. The other is a air locked carboy. The bucket or fermenter is called a primary this is where you start your wine or beer this allows proper oxygen exchange during primary ferment plus the room necessary not to foam over and make a huge mess.The secondary or carboy is used when the SG gets below 1.030 depending on the instructions of course and then the wine is air locked to protect the wine from too much oxygen called oxidization a browning that causes off flavors.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. It might make sense that I have a 30L primary...I tried filling it up last night with water just to check capacity and I got about 26-27L into it before it was almost to the brim. Plus, I didn't measure it to the ML, so it's quite possible I missed a little on the measurement.

Would it be alright to set up the blowoff tube into the sanitizer just to be safe? Or should I even worry about it?

If you want some first hand experience. Just using a 23 liter and a blow off tube will work but you will loose a lot of your wine. It will pay with the first kit to have a proper set up just in lost wine alone not to mention the extra head space that will be left and that will have to be filled to prevent oxidization. You could fill that space with made wine or water but using water makes a very thin wine that lacks flavor. Just my 2cents worth.

I'd buy a second bucket and split the ferment. $7 at a LHBS. Get a slightly larger one if you can but if not you can split it between buckets.

I fermented a big red with skins in a 23 L bucket, and had to keep cleaning out the airlock. I bought a 30 L fermenter to ferment big red kits. Luna Rosa in my mind fits that description. There is a lot of bubbling and activity with these kinda kits. If you're gonna do more red kits with grapes/skins, get a 30 L bucket. You will be glad you did.

Looks like I'm a moron and a little more time spent on Google would have answered my question...it must be a 30L fermenter that I have. I'm planning on starting tonight or tomorrow night...Starsan is mixed and ready to go! Thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Back