Vineco Signature; 23L or 30L fermentation vessel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

The instructions on my Vineco Signature Series kit say to use a 30L primary fermentation vessel, but I only have 2x23L vessels; is this ok?

I have only made one beginners kit before; it came with 2x23L fermentation vessels, it seemed to go to plan and it tasted... ok.

For the next one I decided nicer wine, get a nicer kit, so I got a Vineco Signature Series (Zinfandel California). The instructions for this say to use a 30L primary fermentation vessel... Which I don't have.

There's 14L of juice and the instructions say to top up to 23L then add the 5L ish of grape skins. I could use a 23L vessel, top up to 18L and then add the grape skins (would the wine taste 'too intense'? Would it bubble out? Might it not ferment?). Or I should I bite the bullet and get a 30L vessel?

I hope that makes sense; any tips/advice/knowledge would amazing.

Many thanks,

there is a good chance that not following the instruction will create an unbalance in the wine. I would purchase at least the larger vessel even at the higher volume than suggested for future fermentations.

Thank you for your response :)

What do you mean by "an unbalance"? Just tastes off/bad, or it wouldn't ferment properly?

kit wines are balanced in that acid, sugar for alcohol and tannins are balanced to give good results. changing any part of the reconstitution of the kit will create an unbalance in these elements causing a possible bad flavor in the end. for example in this kit if the grape sking were not added the wine would be short on tannin and taste weak. fermentation would still occur properly

Latest posts

Back