WineXpert Lower Sp. Gr. then what directions indica

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRTr

Junior
Reaction score
Would anybody know what a lower S.G. then what the directions call for by the kit would mean
smiley5.gif
? Assuming my S.G. meter is right with a reading of 1.042 on the first reading and the wine kit directions call for 1.07 to 1.08, what effect will this have on the wine? Do I havea problem with this situation
smiley25.gif

Thanks for all the responses, I'm making pinot noir.
I have corrected The above S.P. readings
Everyone who mentioned that I needed to stir more or with a drill was exactly right. I stirred more and retested and came up with 1.08 s.p.
smiley4.gif

Thanks againEdited by: GRTr

I think you need to stir it alot better . Use a drill attachment. If its still the same contact your retailer and get a new kit.

My advice to start would be to stir your kit again and stir it vigorously especially if you are doing it by hand.
What kit are you making?

To add to what the others said. The concentrate juice is much more viscous than the added water. It takes a dedicated stir to mix the juice and distribute the solids and mix the water into it. If it is not mixed well, you will get an inaccurate SG. Also, the temperature of the juice when you take a sample will effect the reading at well. Hydrometers are calibrated to temperature of the liquid.

Smurfe

Good point. Most hydrometers are calibrated to 60* so after you stir
the heck out of it. Check Sg and dont forget to adjust for temp.

GRTr said:
Would anybody know what a lower S.G. then what the directions call for by the kit would mean
smiley5.gif
? Assuming my S.G. meter is right with a reading of 1.42 on the first reading and the wine kit directions call for 1.7 to 1.8, what effect will this have on the wine? Do I havea problem with this situation
smiley25.gif

i hope you hydrometer dosent read 1.42 or 1.80 this would mean the sugar level would be so high thet it would be like molasses
smiley36.gif

probably that you meant 1.042 and 1.080
smiley2.gif

stir well because the starting S.g versus the final S.G will determine the alcool level in your wine.

usually if you start from around 1.080 and end it around 1.000 or 0.996 (for example) it should give you about 12%

so at 1.042 this should make maybe a 7% wine.. that's not enough for a kit. stir well and re-mesure probably that the concentrated sugar from the kit is in the bottom.

good luck

I didnt even notice the "missing 0". Oh boy, I hope thats a Type-O.

Latest posts

Back