Low Brix question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrojim

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first year I've had a good Zinfandel crop, the previous two years' grapes succumbed to 'noble rot,' at least that's what I think it was. But this year I applied a fungicide and was rewarded with large, dense clusters. Trouble is, they seem quite ripe... very soft, starting to 'weep,' but the Brix is around 16 or so. Do I dare leave these on the vine longer, or would it be best to crush now and add sugar? A real novice here, any suggestions welcome... and thanks!

Zin at 16 is low, ,,,yes it should be higher

The local weather will decide some of what is OK, in hot California we would ripen more, you didn’t mention where you are growing, east coast this may be what to expect. Do you know any local growers or regional winery which you can ask about harvest date/ how this year compares with prior years.
My Midwest perspective is that I am anxious to harvest but will wait till mom nature tells me, ,,, as the yellow jackets are starting or my edelweiss starts falling off the vine at 16. All that said my local winery in the county will pick about a week after I have mine off, they do a better spray program so they miss the cue of insect damage.
edit
I have seen picking simply because it takes time and the operator had a primary weekday job.
and ,,,, I picked one variety today because the fruit were drying, mom nature pushed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back