low alcohol level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud63

Junior
Reaction score
first things first hello everybody
I'm new to the wine making world my wife and i decided to give it a shot we have
made three different red wine batches all from kits followed directions to the tee gravity was in the right range we have been very happy with the taste the only thing is all three batches have a very low
alcohol content we need your help please
thanks guys

What kits did you do? If they were mist wine kits then yes they are designed to be low alcohol kits. There is a way to up the alc in the mist wine kits when you start them though by adding around 5 lbs of sugar in the primary which will bring your abv up to around 11%.

What were the starting SG's and finish SG's of the VR's? they should be fine if they fermented all the way to dry.

The starting SG was where it was supposed to be, though we did not right it down. The finish SG was .992 on one and .990 on the other.

thanks for respondingEdited by: blkcloud63

If its a white wine then the lowest SG according to the instruction sheet and what you have supplied are 10.5% and that was using the lowest SG in the starting instructions for whites. If it was a red then the lowest SG you currently have is 12.25. Those are about right for those style of wines in that class.

Then you should have a minimum abv of 12.25 which is a decent abv. for most red wines. The bigger kits will have bigger abv's.

Latest posts

Back