Low Alcohol Grape Wine Safety

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topkeg

Reaction score
I got some red grape juice from my Aunt who normally makes jelly from it. Not a clue to what type of grape it is. I decided to change tradition and make wine from it. However, I don't think I had enough juice or sugar to start with, tried to stretch it to two gallons. Since I didn't know what type of grape I kind of winged it with the recipe. Primary in September, started with a SG of only 1.060. I have racked it several times, and just finished a 30 day oak barrel run at 45-50 degrees. Racked to gallon carboys and now shows a SG of .992. According to Jack Keller's chart seems to be a ABV of around 8% if i'm figuring correctly. The wine is clearing nicely and actually tastes pretty good at 3 months. Almost like a blush.

What I'm concerned about is the bottling and storage of low alcohol wine from a bacteria standpoint. From various articles on the net they range from trouble, to don't worry about it if you are not storing it for many years. Don't want to make anybody sick at the next family reunion!

obtain a test kit for measuring sulfur, keep it at 50ppm should be fine. seat of the paints for 2 gallons would be about 1/8 tsp of k-meta.

Sal is correct add so2. For the long term this wine wil not last for years, alcohol is a factor when longevity is concerned. Cheers

All the wine I am making right now is "purple". The acid test kit I am using, I really am having trouble figuring out when it actually changes color from pink to grey. Any suggestions on a different kit or better methodology would be GREATLY appreciated.

All the wine I am making right now is "purple". The acid test kit I am using, I really am having trouble figuring out when it actually changes color from pink to grey. Any suggestions on a different kit or better methodology would be GREATLY appreciated.

With the standard test kit, several extra drops of sodium hydroxide will not greatly affect the end result. With acid titration, close is good enough. Remember that this is not rocket fuel you are dealing with. Just go very slowly as you add it.

Latest posts

Back