Looking for some inspiration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckassotis

Reaction score
So this last semester completely killed me, but just about everything I have is ready to filter and bottle now. So I'm looking for something else to make now. I've drifted through some books and the recipe section, but inspiration is lacking.

Notably, I'm looking for something that would not be prohibitively expensive this time of year (as a lot of fruit is, now that it is out of season). I was excited to try an apple cider wine this year, but the ridiculous summer killed harvest for all manner of fruits out this way. As such, I haven't managed to find a local orchard that produced cider this year. Or didn't cell out before I got there.

Looking for something normal-ish, as in, not skittle wine. Not sure. I love ports, but feel like most of those would require expensive fruits this time of year. Any suggestions welcome!

I am making Apple Pie wine with apple juice. Cider was too expensive in the fall so I decide to try 100% apple juice. Smells like fresh apple pie in my kitchen because it is now fermenting.

Chris,
Know how you feel as I have a 100liter SS empty and a few carboys and nothing says HEY MAKE ME!! Look thru a lot of books and nothing. Not looking for a Kit but something creative..

Yeah, nothing sticking out to me. A few things that look cool and I will look to make them come berry season, but nothing that would be conceivable this time of year. I just did two meads, but perhaps it is time to do some more.

As for kits, reds are ultimately disappointing to me. I'm sure some of the expensive ones come out nice, but nothing at a reasonable cost tastes that good to me. White kits aren't bad though, and can come out quite nice and drinkable. Might try something white, like some Gruner Veltliner juice or something a bit strange that I haven't tried before.

Certainly isn't creative though, and I'm looking for something that will amuse me. Hrm..

What recipe did you use for your apple pie wine? That sounds potentially intriguing.

I was bored without anything else on hand and had not made any welch's grape. I made some that turned out to be a bit of a problem child but i ended up with some chocolate concord in the end that is interesti g, definately different, and with some age might turn out quite good! Don't k ow if that recommendation is helpful but if nothing else inspires you...go to the frozen juice section, add some sugar,water and yeast and experiment!

When I truly began I just bought the grape concentrate(about $60 for the juice) then I tried blended raisins in a suspended bag and tried a blend. Both came out great. Actually the Gewürztraminer I made from concentrate was a bigger hit than the kits I've made for the same style.

If you want a challenge crane a few concentrate cans and blend with a fruit or other substance and create something unique. Its cost effective and you can always just blend it with a kit or something else if you don't like it.

There are a few recipes here for spiced Apple Wine, I just added my own "touches" to them.

Mix up a batch or two of Skeeter Pee. It should be ready for drinkin by hot weater time. Try any of the concentrates from the grocery store, make a batch of Joes ancient orange mead. If you were closer, we could probably raid my freezer, get some of the fruits out of it, and make Kathy happy. Arne.

Hrm, thanks for the ideas! I'm not entirely wild about doing another kit, which I also lump concentrates into. Whites aren't bad though, and I feel can very often turn out well. I might grab a varietal that I haven't tried before.

Skeeter pee I have largely avoided. Hrm. I think it is due to the fact that I read it takes an active yeast slurry to get it going. I suppose I could just grab a new white varietal and start then, then use that yeast slurry to start the SP. Hrm.

As for citrus wine, interesting idea! Thanks! I'm not sure that there is a citrus that I'd like to drink that much, but I will give it some thought! I tried a JAOM before and that turned out interesting, but not as good as some of the variations that I've done on it with other fruit.

Hi, ckassotis, I am not sure that Skeeter Pee actually requires a slurry to start the fermentation. I've made it with yeast and had no problem with fermentation. But if this is not inspiring what about a mead from a varietal honey like tupelo or heather?

You can make your own slurry. Give pee a try. It will only end up costing you about $20 for a 5 gal batch. What do you have to lose?

Fair enough! I'll give it a shot. Perhaps think about doing another mead as well - the local honey here is quite delicious. I also found some frozen strawberries at the local Hyvee that were 2 lb for $5 which seemed pretty darn good. Unfortunately the shelves were picked clean. Frozen rhubarb too! Very cool. Most of the other fruit was still more expensive than I would like, but if I can find a deal on the strawberries then perhaps it might be worthwhile to try the strawberry choc port with frozen.

So I went my the natural grocers in town today and found some pure cherry juice in 1L glass jars. Sounded pretty good, and they also happened to have pure cherry concentrate by the same brand right nearby, and then unsweetened dried cherries nearby that I figured I could use to help the body. So will end up doing about a gallon batch. Figured I wasn't sure how it would end up, so would start small.

Also found some organic pure apple juice in 1 gallon glass jugs while I was there and grabbed the last two of those. Might stop back in a few days and grab another 1 or 2 of those. Thinking I might try an apple pie wine with that, or something of the sort.

Will grab some lemon juice when I get to the supermarket next as well, and see about getting a batch of SP going to see how that turns out. That should keep me busy for a little bit!

Latest posts

Back