Long Term Fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Winos said:
Thanks for the info on your Cranberry and Black Currant wines...very interesting...We also prefer dry wine and seems many folks here do those two wines on the sweeter side.

I hate to be a dunce, but what is Demerara sugar????

I think you win the award [if there is one] for patience on ageing your wines....at least in this group...
smiley4.gif

My wife and I abhor any sweetened wines, but that's personal taste, ours.

http://www.sugarindia.com/comprassion.htm

Demerara sugar is a large granule, lightly processed raw sugar from cane. (The USA market uses mostly sugar refined from Sugar Beets if I am correct.) It has a slight Carmel flavour and itis not just coloured brown / white processed sugar. It is widely available here in Toronto in the small neighbourhood "ethnic" grocery markets. It leaves a slightly more complex finish on the palate than regular white cane sugar we normally use.

The longtime ageing was really an unplanned thingy that just worked out that way. Any vino made from scratch,i.e.: raw fruit,will improve exponentially for every additional month that it is aged. I find 12 months to be a good number. Wine ages best in bulk and faster in the bottle. Best, is to use both methods.

The trick is volume. You have to have adequate finished quantities for consumption, a volume ageing and another volume in process. Not easy to do, but you need to be two to three years out there in front and ahead of your imbibing.
smiley9.gif
Edited by: Stvr

You and your wife abhor the wine? Is that over my haed or just a type o thaty I cant figure out.

wadewade said:
You and your wife abhor the wine? Is that over my haed or just a type o thaty I cant figure out.

ab·hor (
abreve.gif
b-hôr
prime.gif
)
<DIV =pseg>tr.v. ab·horred, ab·hor·ring, ab·hors
<DIV =ds-single>To regard with horror or loathing; detest:
<DIV =ds-single>
<DIV =ds-single>
<DIV =ds-single>It means wifey and I don't like it, eh!
smiley4.gif

I see you must live in T.O....I did a spell there for more years than I care to remember...maybe I don't remember...actually they are kind of a blur....
smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back