LONG night of winemaking!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Woohoo!

I'm currently waiting for my beet wine to be filtered, so I thought I'd get to the computer instead of waiting in front of it.
smiley36.gif

It was a long night of winemaking. Well, wine-racking and organizing. I racked peach, Cab Franc, pumpkin, marigold. Afterwards, I stirred the beegeesus out of the cab franc, pumpkin and apple. Before filtering the beet wine, I stirred and stirred and stirred. When all is said and done, I should be able to bottle (next week maybe, maybe the week after that) about 105 bottles!!!
smiley1.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley36.gif

I'll let you know if I'm still alive after that!

I hate it. But I still have hope. It's been in the carboy since about february, so I hope it starts looking clearer soon. I want to free up some carboys. The taste is very young, almost like green wood, if I had ever tasted it.(but I haven't) The peach smell is definitely there, but it's a lot fainter than I had originally had. That makes me sad. I had a handful of oak chippies in there for about a month, and I took them out yesterday.

All in all, I think this one shows promise. A lot better than the sauerkraut/cabbage wine I made 2 years ago (still ahven't opened that bottle!).
smiley36.gif

I added sparkeloid to the peach yesterday. I hope that it will be clearing sooner than on its own.

If not, I still have that packet of SUPERKLEER waiting. I'm so impatient!
smiley36.gif

Well, I've started 2 more 5 gallon batches today, and one 3 gallon batch. I need to get the freezer ready for the fall "harvest!"

I started my lilac wine - 5 gallons of it. Yay!

Hard Lemonade - we'll see how the fermentation kicks in.

And I started my "Everything in the freezer and basement must be made MUST" wine. It contains:
<UL>
<LI>Chrysanthemums (frozen)
<LI>Rose Hips (dried)
<LI>Hibiscus (dried)
<LI>Elderberries (dried)
<LI>Lavender (dried)</LI>[/list]

We will see how that one turns out. The smell is sure interesting, I have to say!!!! I just thought I'd throw everything together and see what happens. 12 pounds of sugar, 72B yeast for both batches. Both are 5 gallons.

Well, just thought I'd keep you all posted. :)

MartinaEdited by: MedPretzel

Update:

I racked the peach, the marigold and pumpkin wines today. There was some sediment (but not much - the pictures fibbed a little) in all but the pumpkin. The marigold wine is clearing nicely, and the taste is still way hot. The pumpkin turned out to be an extremely sweet wine. The last 2 weeks, it has been shooting off little bubbles, but I think it is probably CO2.
<UL>
<LI>The peach? Well.... it's clearing a little, and there was some sediment, but very little. It really smelled peachy, and I think it has potential to become a good wine. We will see.</LI>
<LI>The tea wine is just going to have to sit there for a while. I added oak chippies into it last week, so 2 more months in the carboy, and then I don't care, I'm bottling it.
smiley36.gif
</LI>
<LI>The hard lemonade finally took off. I can't wait til it's finished! I will bottle them only in beer bottles this time. I have a bottle-deficiency again, but the beer ones are plenty. It is in a carboy now, but I left plenty of airspace for the time being. I've made a little more, so I have plenty to top off with when the initial fermentation has died down a little.</LI>
<LI>The Everything MUST is almost at SG 0.990 - not bad! But it's still bubbling away like mad. It's a beautiful dark pink color. I'm excited to see how that one turned out. I put it also into the secondary, and love watching the airlock go crazy!</LI>
<LI>The Lilac wine is just not looking good to me. I'm very disappointed in the color so far. The beautiful purple color of the petals turned a brown color that isn't appropriate to describe here. I just hope the taste is okay. I put it in the carboy today andtopped this one off with some left-over apple wine. (I assume it's going to be the same color or similar at least). </LI>
<LI>My blueberry wine is giving me problems. I used Lalvin 72B-1122 yeast, and it's not starting to ferment. I have checked the SG, which is good (1.100) and have stirred the must quite a bit to oxygenate it. I've currently started a yeast starter for this one, and will hope for the best. I've invested so much money in this one, that it BETTER get it's butt in gear and ferment.</LI>[/list]

Well, there's my update.
smiley36.gif
I will try to post pictures soon.

In the freezer, I've got day lily petals for 5 gallons, Peppermint for 5 gallons, and the chrysanthemums are starting to come into bloom here in Ohio. The rain we've been getting made them grow like the dickens!
smiley32.gif

Martina

Udate again:
<UL>
<LI>Racked blueberry into secondary. Could wait no longer. SG: 1.040. End volume (so much for me being a scientist!): 7.25 gallons.
smiley18.gif
Hope it doesn't turn out too thin.</LI>
<LI>Pumpkin has died down from whatever ailment it had.</LI>
<LI>Peach is sitting there, just peachy as can be.</LI>
<LI>Chamomile, ditto.</LI>
<LI>Hard lemonade: topped off.</LI>
<LI>Everything MUST: topped off and the fermentation has slowed down tremendously.</LI>
<LI>Lilac: kinda doin' it's thing. Topped off with apple wine. Fermentation is slowing down.</LI>[/list]

That's alot of blueberry wine! If it seems thin in the end, all you can do is sweeten it a little with some juice! Sounds yummy to me! If you sweeten it enough with juice, you could end up with 8 gallons!!! Yee-Haww!!!

smiley36.gif

Update again:
<UL>
<LI>Racked blueberry.SG: 0.990. Tastes hot, but not bad.
<LI>Chamomile, still in carboy. I don't feel like touching it. It has no sediment. I didn't even smell it this time.
<LI>Everything MUST:racked.It tastes pretty good, cleared outvery well,but the smell isa little too much of lavender.
smiley11.gif

<LI>Lilac: kinda doin' it's thing. Clearing nicely. Racked today, and will see where it goes. It is quite sweet for my tastes, but not bad.</LI>
<LI>Mead Surprise: well, this one is the first mead I've ever made. I got the recipe from another forum, and it tastes a little too much like orange rind for my tastes. And it's still very sweet. I racked this one for the first time today (after about a month!).</LI>
<LI>Chardonnay Kit: racked. It can now bulk age until I'm good and ready (tomorrow?). It's very pretty yellow, and it smells pretty good.</LI>
<LI>Daylily: Just doin' it's thing. Nothing really to mention. Lots of action in the airlock.</LI>[/list]

could you taste the honey through the suprise? on the raspberry I can't taste the honey yet. too harsh.

type of honey? how long has it been in the carboy? add sugar? what? how? when? why?

Well, considering this was my first try at a mead, I used the store-bought clover honey - 9 pounds for the 1 gallon batch. It has been in the carboy for about 6 weeks. No sugar was added. It is in the basement (to answer your where question!). Why? I have no idea. Just sounded good.

Orange rinds are in there, and some spices.

9lbs for a gallon....no wonder it is sweet!
smiley3.gif

What was your starting specific gravity?

Back