Lemberger wine making tips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynehross

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 100 lbs of fresh Lemberger. Any advice or older posts on the variety?

I grow blaufrankische (lemberger)

I reccomend you use an enzyme to extract colour , some medium toast oak powder 3 grams per gallon of anticipated finnished wine (or a light dose of vr supra or similar fermentation stage tannin) and some optired or booster rouge in the primary .
when fermenting make sure you have a good heat peak (ie 85'f ) for a day .
make sure you use a nutrient like fermaid K in your primary , my blaufrankishe always tests low for natural nitrogen .

all this will ensure you get good colour , which can be a challenge , its a bit like zinfandel that way.

as for yeasts I like syrah , d80 or rc 212 .

and a light touch on the oak durring ageing , ie 2oz per carboy of medium toast hungarian or french oak cubes

or to go basic , use rc212 , some fermaid and get it nice and warm durring the ferment .
age with a couple oz of oak cubes medium toast .

Last edited:
altavino said:
I grow blaufrankische (lemberger)

I reccomend you use an enzyme to extract colour , some medium toast oak powder 3 grams per gallon of anticipated finnished wine (or a light dose of vr supra or similar fermentation stage tannin) and some optired or booster rouge in the primary .
when fermenting make sure you have a good heat peak (ie 85'f ) for a day .
make sure you use a nutrient like fermaid K in your primary , my blaufrankishe always tests low for natural nitrogen .

all this will ensure you get good colour , which can be a challenge , its a bit like zinfandel that way.

as for yeasts I like syrah , d80 or rc 212 .

and a light touch on the oak durring ageing , ie 2oz per carboy or medium toast hungarian oak cubes

or to go basic , use rc212 , some fermaid and get it nice and warm durring the ferment .
age with a couple oz of oak cubes medium toast .

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back