leaking fermenter, wine ok or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintipam

Reaction score
I have determined that I have a leak in my 6.9 gal fermenting bucket. The last couple batches I did I thought I had a wicking problem with the cover cloth when it drooped into the top of the wine. But the last batch I made totally sticky grossed out the fleece blanket I had over the heating pad. So now I"m trying to figure out if those wines are ok or not. They have been meta'd and racked a couple times now. They taste fine. Any opinions?

I'm certain it leaks. It's just a dark mark crooked short line visible on the bottom of the bucket that has to be the culprit. I took a clean dry dishpan, put it in the sink, sat the bucket in it and filled bucket with water. Sure enough when I checked later there was water in the pan.

Pam in cinti

If the wine has been stabilized with meta, chances are it is fine. The bigger problem is the crack in the bucket that can be a "portal" for spoilage organisms, I'd get another fermenting bucket ASAP and toss this one.

Thank you pumpkinman. I was hoping the meta might make things ok. I will be certain that any suspect batches remain timely and thoroghly meta'd, and will be sure they are early drinkers.

Bucket is already tossed. Luckilly I just got a couple of the 10 gal brutes so I'm not without means to start another couple batches. I was just too bummed thinking I might need to toss 18 gallons of wine.

Pam in cinti

Are you putting k-meta in them while they are fermenting? The only meta going in them while in the bucket could be day 1 if the directions call for it, otherwise the 10 days or so they are in the bucket the meta should not be needed. I assume they were racked into carboys and should be OK right now. Glad you threw it out.

Hi grapeman

Yes, I do the meta day one, wait a day to pitch yeast on all my wines. I've been reading that it's not necessary with wine made from concentrates, but I kindof feel better safe than sorry. And in this case, I'm really really glad I play it safe. I think it's only a couple batches. I first noticed a drop in level with the first batch I fermented in cold weather. I thought it was evaporation due to very low humidity. Next batch I thought when the cover cloth drooped into the wine it wicked some away and down the side to the floor. Not till batch 3 was I certain since it was a sticky mess from sugared must. It had to have slowly gotten worse over time. It really looks like nothing on the bottom of the bucket, but I knew I had to test to be sure. Very glad I know now as I have a couple concentrates from Home winery on the way. Boy would that have cheesed me!

Thanks for your input

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back