WineXpert LE Shiraz Viognier - Australia???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm out to pick up a kit today...can someone please help me out here...I cannot picture this marriage LOL!!!

Anyone made this yet or have made a similar kit??

I'm not a big Shiraz fan by itself or even blended with a Cab but blended with a white??

Thanks kindly!!

I can help you a bit: There is a long tradition in Old-World wines of blending some white wine into a red. Have you ever had a northern Rhone wine? These are often that same blend, mostly Syrah, a small amount (~10%) of Viognier.

In the Chianti region, it used to be required by DOC rules to blend in some white wine to make a proper Chianti.

Interesting...thank you!!

And yes...I've had both and enjoyed both...

I was actually down at the local yesterday...was looking at the Eclipse Pinot Noir or the Zin...seeing I haven't had a taste of either in over 20 years I decided to splurge and go buy a bottle of each...picked up a Gnarley head and a Beringer Founder's Estate...I'm glad I did cause neither of them cranks my tractor enough to want to make a kit LOL!!!

I'm a huge fan of anything Italian...and French for that matter...

I was actually thinking of the LE Super Tuscan...or the GSM blend from Australia...or the Eclipse Barolo...but they just so happened to have a few of these kits left over from the pre-order...thought I would ask...

Just wondering where to go next :D

I have made the LE Shiraz/Viognier and it is outstanding. It has been in the bottle now for a year and it just keeps getting better. Excellent white pepper notes. Great with food. Get this one while you can.

The percentage of Viognier is usually pretty small (a little goes a long way, I've been told), but it does make a difference. It is also blended before fermentation rather than afterwards. Some places in the northern Rhone even have the two grapes mixed and harvested together rather than separate from one another. If you're not a big fan of Syrah/Shiraz, though, it might be a good idea to find a commercial example before committing to a kit.

Well...I picked up the Shiraz/Viognier...it's been a long time since I had a French styled blend in my cellar so I figured why not :D

Thanks kindly for all the insight guys...much appreciated!!!

I started mine back in January and it is bulk aging now. It is next in the barrel - sometime in June. It's already good. I'm having thoughts of trying to replicate it with fresh grapes (syrah) and a juice bucket (viognier) next year.

I'm not a big fan of my Shiraz, Viognier yet, I think we noted to taste again in August. If I remember correctly it has the Viognier added to enhance color stability and bouquet, think I read this or someone told me this before the first s/v le ever went on sale.

Back