late harvest concord (ice wine)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Here is what I got from Walkers to make an ice type wine

5 gallons of late harvest concord

36 brix

1.45 acid level

packet of nutrient

red star premier Cuvee dry yeast

they said it will ferment out to the right sweetness and alcohol levels with that yeast . Any one ever make their ice wine?

I have made a bit of it over the last several years. Check the brix if you can. I get a different answer every time I ask. Since my last batch I have ways of checking now. Most hydrometers won't go that high. I used a starter to get it going. I also used champagne yeast. Once it gets down to about 1.08, I would transfer to a secondary and leave it there for at least 30 days before checking with your hydrometer. I have done there Vidal and Vignoles. I wasn't very fond of the Concord when I tried it in their tasting room.

late harvest concord

just got it started yesterday 3/13/11 the sg was 1.155 to start just about right on at 36 brix i got it in a 5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug airlocked . They are bubbling and foaming like crazy , you say at 1.080 rack and wait? 30 days ? what about using the lees for another batch of skeeter pee , got a new batch of blueberry going also that could be another skeeter pee about sunday . then i'll be out of carboys what a great feeling having all 16 filled lol

I would have put it into a primary bucket or larger carboy all together. I take it you didn't have anything large enough to do that with. Just curious did you take a ph reading?

I think this would be great for skeeter Pee

Latest posts

Back