Last Week in Mendocino/Lake Counties

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
I wasn't around last week, I was on vacation. My wife and I spent the week tasting wine and taking in the sights in California wine country.

Because we had a one-day engagement in LA, we started there and the next day drove North to Paso Robles, one of my favorite wine areas. Bought three great bottles of reds there. From there we drove to Santa Rosa, where we stayed most of the week. Santa Rosa is toward the Northern half of Sonoma County, just south of Mendocino and Lake Counties.

This year we went primarily to Mendocino and Lake Counties. They make some great Pinot Noir up there! I don't want to leave out Northern Sonoma County, which is much different than the popular Southern end and more like the counties to the north.

We tasted mainly Pinot Noir, next red Zin, and a few Syrahs; not much cab where we tasted. About every tasting room also had chardonnay to taste.

These counties (and Northern Sonoma) have lots of small, boutique wineries, which sell almost entirely to in-house tasters and people on their mailing lists. The wine is more expensive, but the quality is something very special.

Several places did tastings the way I like them - instead of one tasting of a Pinot, one of zin, one syrah; there were multiple tastings from one varietal, each bottle coming from a different vineyard. It is amazing how different a wine from one vineyard can taste, compared to another vineyard just down the road or across the road; all made by the same winemaker. It really gives you perspective about a single varietal.

Did I mention that in many of the places, we got to talk directly with the winemaker?

One place sat us down by a fireplace, served us about 7 different Pinots on a tray, along with some pairings... no wine tasting fee!!! Some places did charge $5, but the fee was waived if you bought anything.

I have always liked Pinots, but I really do believe I like them better now.. or maybe it's that I appreciate them more now.

Another winery, which specializes in red Zins did a similar tasting of multiple zins. Again, amazing the differences in taste within the same varietal.

Before we left, we did a few tastings in southern Sonoma Country, where most wine-related visitors go. The tastings were sometimes $20 and they didn't waive the fee unless you bought 2 bottles of wine. To tell you the truth, with the exception of a couple of cabs, I didn't taste anything there that was any better than up north. The Pinots up north were actually much better; Pinots do better in cooler areas; Medocino/Lake Countires are a little cooler than Napa and southern Sonoma.

I guess what I noticed most about the popular Somnoma area was the people running the tasting rooms were sort of snobby. I think Napa and southern Sonoma are getting the big head... something their French rivals have had for a long, long time.

Our intention was to spend one day tasting in Amador Country, further to the east, next to the Sierras. We didn't make it that far this time; maybe next year.

Anyway, if you like to go on wine tasting trips to California, don't think you have to go only to Napa or Southern Sonoma to taste some really great wines.

That sounds like a great way to spend a vacation. One of these days we need to visit my brother and sister in-law in LA and then venture up the cost. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm not sure where that is related to Sonoma but my nephew is getting married at the Viansa Winery there this summer. Wish I could go but it's just not in the budget.

This year I didn't take a single photo, wish I had. Unlike most past years when I was in wine country, it rained quit a lot.

Other than the rain, Mendocino County is gorgeous this time of year. It looks more like summer there right now than winter. It is one huge rocky hill after another; what is not rock faced or covered with grape vines, is covered with green grass. Of course there are lots of mountains around there, also. The further north you go into the county, the more the trees are covered with a very delicate moss, which hangs straight down off the branches. Looks really cool. The moss is sort of a gray color, but really nice.

It is amazing how many of these hills are covered with nurtured, rolling vineyards, one right after another. (Where do they and the rest of California sell all that wine!!!) Lots of gnarly old-vine Zin, which I think have a beauty all their own. Up there some of the vineyards have Petite Syrah that is not always trellised. They look more like small, old-vine Zin than anything else. They fooled me until I inquired about one specific vineyard.

There is definitely a different feel there than in Napa and southern Sonoma.

I wish the reason I get to go to California wine country each year was that I am rolling in money, but that's not the case. The truth is, my wife's two sons both live nearby, so it is a good reason to visit them, then sneak over into the hills. Otherwise, I would just have to dream about going there, like so many others.

Next year I'll takes some photos... promise.

Robie! The forum isn't going to like this. Throw 'em a bone. Post a few pics from previous years---they'll never know. LOL

Here is Robie on vacation in beautiful Mendocino CA.........

stickperson_187x187.jpg

I guess you will have to just use your imagination........

You know like the rest of the trip!

Some of us do actually post our Road Trip Pics when we go to wine country!

I guess you will have to just use your imagination........

You know like the rest of the trip!

Some of us do actually post our Road Trip Pics when we go to wine country!

Next time! :i

I will have to admit I saw your photos from your last trip. They were very good, especially of Chateau Montelena.

Back