Lacking in taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapecrusher

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can help. I have a batch that has finished primary fermentation and I had a bad sulphur smell which was a first for me. I splashed racked it and it has improved but it is bland. Will it improve over time or is there anything I can add to improve tr

It is way too early to expect any decent taste now. The sulfur smell is worrisome. I am pretty sure you can get rid of it by running thru a copper tube while racking.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/rotten-egg-smell-37803/

By the way, if you have a problem with your wine, it is best if you tell what kind of wine you are making and what from.

I am sure it will be fine and you will enjoy it. Welcome

Yep, we have to have much more info to answer the question.

What is the starting and finishing SG?
What type of wine?
From a kit?

That smell is a result of your yeast becoming stressed.
What yeast?
At what temperature was the fermentation?
What is the quantity of the wine? 1 gallon? 6 gallon?

robie said:
Yep, we have to have much more info to answer the question.

What is the starting and finishing SG?
What type of wine?
From a kit?

That smell is a result of your yeast becoming stressed.
What yeast?
At what temperature was the fermentation?
What is the quantity of the wine? 1 gallon? 6 gallon?

Temp was 80 for a week which was higher than I usual. I have 36 gal of cab 6 gal of Sangiovese and 6 gal blend don't remember yeast name u guys are more technical than I have been I fermented in bucket for 1st time usually I do it in glass carboys. Wine is in glass carboys

Temp was 80 for a week which was higher than I usual. I have 36 gal of cab 6 gal of Sangiovese and 6 gal blend don't remember yeast name u guys are more technical than I have been I fermented in bucket for 1st time usually I do it in glass carboys. Wine is in glass carboys

Which one of those wines is the problem?

That smell generally can be fixed easily without damaging the wine. If it truly is the rotten egg smell, it is refer to as H2S.

It requires subjecting the wine to something made of copper (In the home wine making environment).

Put a half cup of it in a glass. Add 2 or 3 shiny (untarnished) copper pieces, like US pennies. Stir wine around for about 5 minutes. If the smell diminishes, it is H2S.

Stirring the carboy with a clean sanitized copper tube or placing a sanitized copper pot scrubber directly into the carboy (with a string attached) for 3 or 4 days, followed by a splash racking, will generally take care of the smell.

As I said in my previous post, this almost always happens when the yeast get stressed. Maybe too cold, maybe not enough nutrients, maybe not enough oxygen.

Do you add nutrients while the wine is fermenting? If not, that is the likely problem.

How long were the yeast actually in the wine before they were racked off? if too long, H2S is very possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back