WineXpert Kudos to Pressing News

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funky Fish

Reaction score
George - thanks for getting (encouraging) David Blubaugh to write the article in the Pressing News this month. It was quite fascinating to see a conclusive story associated with the "to rack or not to rack" debate.

Kudos to David for the article, and to George for the newsletter, forum, shop, specials, Winestock gathering, good attitude, helpfulness, etc. etc.

As an aside, I forwarded the article to Tim Vandergrift. He was so pleased with the article that he gave David a free WE kit, in exchange for being able to use the info in a future WineMaker Mag article.

This is why I encourage my customers to write articles. You never know what you will learn or earn!

Funky Fish said:
George - thanks for getting (encouraging) David Blubaugh to write the article in the Pressing News this month. It was quite fascinating to see a conclusive story associated with the "to rack or not to rack" debate.

Kudos to David for the article, and to George for the newsletter, forum, shop, specials, Winestock gathering, good attitude, helpfulness, etc. etc.

Unfortunately,this does not show that racking and not adding chitosan would not clear as quickly. You would have to have threelike kits to show this difference. I have a Mezza Luna kitIracked off the lees 2 weeks ago. I did not add the clarifier(chitosan),I did add the sorbate and sulfite. It seems to have cleared fine, no clumping or hazing, about ready to bottle now.

If anyone wishes to donate to me 3 like kits
smiley17.gif
, I would be happy to do the comparison, and write an article. LOL. I would also do another article on tasting notes after a year of ageing.
smiley2.gif

DaveB50 said:
Unfortunately,this does not show that racking and not adding chitosan would not clear as quickly. You would have to have threelike kits to show this difference. I have a Mezza Luna kitIracked off the lees 2 weeks ago. I did not add the clarifier(chitosan),I did add the sorbate and sulfite. It seems to have cleared fine, no clumping or hazing, about ready to bottle now.

That's correct - it doesn't show the effect of not using the fining agents. But that wasn't the intent of the article. The article was made to show the difference in adding the fining agent before racking (per the instructions) versus adding the fining agent after racking.

Funky Fish said:
DaveB50 said:

That's correct - it doesn't show the effect of not using the fining agents. But that wasn't the intent of the article. The article was made to show the difference in adding the fining agent before racking (per the instructions) versus adding the fining agent after racking.

Funky Fish, I understand what the article was about, rack or not rack before clearing. It was informative, I was just thinking...what if, out loud. My point being that if your not doing it (following instructions) anyway, why add extra chemicals to do what nature will take care of for you? I did not mean to cause any distress by my reply, and apologise if so. I would like to see a comparison like I described. Maybe someone will do one some day. I could not afford to do three goodkits at once. Good luck on your wines, may they all turn out awesome.
smiley4.gif

Tim explained it all today at Winestock. I am waiting permission from WE to post some of the video. We taped the whole thing!

As to the chemicals, it is all about creating the best tasting and looking wine. You can omit the chemicals, but they are not doing anything but improving the wine and the residual amounts left are miniscule and will not cause any allergic reactions.

As Tim says, "Follow the instructions."

Latest posts

Back