WineXpert Kit Started-Need assurance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Hello all, Leelanau here. Started 1st kit of my life today. Muller Thurgau. My spigot leaks as others have mentioned. I didn't perform a water only leak test prior for a few days. It leaks a drop every so often but a little paper towl under the spigot seems to control this. I figure I'll fix the problem after racking to carboy. Had to sanitize my arm and place it in the bucket of juice and bentonite solution to tighten spigot. OK? Also, my basement is 70 - 72 degrees so after stirring my juice and water and stirring the elderflowers in, I let it set for a few hours to get to room temp. Then I added yeast to top. Did it settle too much in those few hours, do you think? I'll know tomorrow if it is fermenting ok? OH, I don't notice a strong sulphur smell in the sanitizing solution. Very faint. I poured the two oz. jar into a gal. of spring water, shook it up, and used it. OK? Let's see, what else.... hmmm... When I cleaned my stuffI just put a gal of waterwith a tablespoon of the easyclean in there, and swished it around, wiping it up the sides. I washed all my tools in there and then drained the bucketin order to pour a little sanitizing solution in,swished it around, sprayed the sides with some ina spray bottle. Then I sprayed each piece of equipment. Hopefullythis is all ok? Enough of my babbling - just wonderingif all I did so far is somewhat ok. My initial SG was 1.074 approx. So, that's on track. I need to get afloating therm. as I just have a sefl adhesive one onstuck on the plastic primary now. Leelanau - any advice is appreciated!
smiley12.gif

Sounds like you did everything correctly (except checking the spigot), so you should be just fine. If if makes you feel any better, I have done the sanitize the arm thing with the spigot, myself.

Keep us posted on your progress.
smiley20.gif

Yes, George, I should have checked the spigot. I was waiting for the right time to start the kit being summer and gone some weekends. So, I checked it for a bit when cleaning, thought ok, then got it all filled to the brim and realized the small leak. Too late then! So, looking forward to fixing it up at cleaning/racking time. Thanks for thumbs up. Leelanau

Don't feel badly about the leak, I think we've all done the sanitize arm bit. Wait until you forget you're using the therm. and not the Hyd. and drop it thinking its going to float.
smiley18.gif
Two choices, leave the therm. until racking or................sanitize arm and fetch it out of the must.

So it sounds like you've gotten off to a great start. Keep us all posted and lets not forget some pix. We all love pix.
smiley32.gif

Pepere, I checked "my baby" this a.m. and at approx. 36 hours she is making a slight bubbling/sizzling sound and beginning to ferment. The froth on tophas diminished, also, and it seems I can see the little yeast particles, again. I hope it's ok to slightly lift the lid and peek a tad. 'Cause I have, obviously. I'll take a pic soon and post it to the pictures section of the forum for all to view. Thanks for your vote of confidence, also. Leelanau (I'll remember the therm vs. hydrometer bit)

Sounds like a healthy fermentation! I think you are making some good wine there!

I think your off to making your first batch of wine in fine shape.
smiley32.gif

Looking and peeking is a good thing as it lets in some oxygen which actually help the yeasty beasties do their thing. Some folks just loosely place the cover on the primaryto keep the bugs and critters out. Heck I check mine a couple times a day. I find the different levels of fermentation interesting to watch. I've seen every thing from a rolling boil to tiny bubbles. Your doing just fine, just remember.......be patient! and follow the directions!!
smiley2.gif

Back