Other Kit Recommendation Needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phelpsmeister

Junior
Reaction score
I need some assistance from the experts. I want to make a kit that closely matches the flavor profile for the Coppola Claret, as it is one of my wife's favorites, outside what I make of course!

I guess at worst I buy some kits that aren't the same, but I have fun making them and have now added to my growing cellar!

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help, but this is from the bottle:
A Cabernet Sauvignon-based wine blended in a Bordeaux style, this wine exhibits an exceptional depth and truly unique flavors.
81% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot, 5% Malbec, 3% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc from California.

A review states:
Claret, as the label mentions, is the term originally used by the British to describe Cabernet Sauvignon based Bordeaux blends

This seems to be the best match:
Cru Select Okanagan Valley Red Meritage - blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc

The following kits may be a close match:
Cellar Classic Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot Blend Wine Kit
Caberlot - Original All Juice Kit from Mosti Mondiale
Selection Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Wine Kit

I hope that this helps.
Tom

Thanks a bunch Tom. I knew I would get a quick answer from this crowd. Sure beats not being a lazy a$$ and researching it myself!

I would not have high hopes from the Mosti All juice bucket! You are talking about about a pretty decent bottle of wine and that is going to require a decent kit. The Cru Select or another companies equivalent is where I would put my money. Its actually as low on the kit makers totem pole as I would ever go. If that Cru Select is a "Restricted Quantity" now that's a different story as those are way up on the totem pole!!!!

The Cellar Classic Winery Series also has an Austrailian Meritage (w/skins) that I am looking forward to trying soon. Unfortunately, most meritage kits don't use the petit verdot and malbec. Nonetheless, I look forward to trying it.

I would not have high hopes from the Mosti All juice bucket! You are talking about about a pretty decent bottle of wine and that is going to require a decent kit. The Cru Select or another companies equivalent is where I would put my money. Its actually as low on the kit makers totem pole as I would ever go. If that Cru Select is a "Restricted Quantity" now that's a different story as those are way up on the totem pole!!!!

Wade I had assume that the all-juice buckets were a good kit...is that not the case? I haven't tried one as of yet, but if they are crap I will make sure to spend my dollars on something else.

I would like to thank the search function for bringing me to this thread. Tom, is there some sort of "master list" of kits or such that one can search for the components? I'm not so much a fan of Coppola's claret- but I do love Margeaux and Saint-Emilion.

I would like to thank the search function for bringing me to this thread. Tom, is there some sort of "master list" of kits or such that one can search for the components? I'm not so much a fan of Coppola's claret- but I do love Margeaux and Saint-Emilion.

I am not aware of a searchable master list. Some kits are proprietary blends and the manufacturer does not release the components. Also the components and percentages may change from batch-to-batch or year-to-year as the manufacturer tries to keep the product consistent.

From Wiki
The wines of Saint-Émilion are typically blended from different grape varieties, the three main ones being Merlot (60% of the blend), Cabernet Franc (nearly 30%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (around 10%).

So you're looking for a Merlot - Cab Franc - Cab Sauv blend, preferably with juices from that region of France. But it's not as simple as that because of terroir, yeast, oaking, and aging, and whatever else. Plus the French juices are not commonly used in wine kits.

BTW, I'm sure that there are other (possibly better choices), but Vineco's Ken Ridge Classic Trilogy is a Cab Sauv - Cab Franc - Merlot blend. The source of the juices is not stated.

I did not find Margeaux in Wiki, and didn't try Google.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate it. It just looks like I'll have to spend more time with wine information.. Such a horrible existence!

I can't find Margeaux either, do you mean Chateau Margaux?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_Margaux

If you do, then I can probably guarantee you will not find a kit to make something remotely close to Chateau Margaux! :)

The Cru Select Meritage was an RQ when it first came out about 3 years ago and was then added to their regular offerings. It comes with skins and elderberries, I think, and is a good kit.

The Cru Select Meritage was an RQ when it first came out about 3 years ago and was then added to their regular offerings. It comes with skins and elderberries, I think, and is a good kit.
Cru Select BC Red Meritage, and if you prefer a kit with grape skins Cellar Classic Winery Series Australian Meritage. There is also a Limited Release (availability unknown by me) Grand Cru International California Meritage that might be reasonable for the cost conscious.

http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageID=77bb8f6a-fa3b-5744-b09b-486f85a77eeb&wineTypeID=9b28ff9e-b531-8573-29d4-7e72ddf50930&wineVarietalID=3afb12d4-a4f3-9d59-d257-e570ec8a02bd

According to my notes, the Cru Select Okanagan Meritage was released as an RQ (Restricted Quantities) in March 2009 with EC-1118, Elderberries (40g), oak pieces (60g), Hungarian oak chips (50g), Genuwine grape skins (250g). It would be interesting to learn if it was still the same.

Steve

deboard - apparently I *do* mean chateau Margeaux. I had no idea it was that fine of a detail, though, as I find different labels/vintners carrying "Margeaux". Never just one group. I figured it was a specific blend like the others in the Bordeaux region. I'm just a fan of in-your-face reds and the Bordeaux region seems to capture it fairly well!

deboard - apparently I *do* mean chateau Margeaux. I had no idea it was that fine of a detail, though, as I find different labels/vintners carrying "Margeaux". Never just one group. I figured it was a specific blend like the others in the Bordeaux region. I'm just a fan of in-your-face reds and the Bordeaux region seems to capture it fairly well!
spelling is important...Margeaux or Margaux? I didn't find Margeaux. deboard found Margaux.

Steve

I'm a fan of big reds as well, so I was genuinely trying to find out what wine you were speaking of. Is Margeaux a style of wine that you like? I'm always interested in finding new reds to try.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that Margaux was a region of bordeaux as well as a famous winery. I also didn't realize that the Bordeaux region was further divided into sub-regions either! The french get pretty serious about this stuff don't they?

I'll look at my local store and see if they have any reds from this region, they usually have bordeaux but I don't remember seeing any further designation.

Latest posts

Back