Kenridge Limited Australian Mourvedre: Very high starting gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveM

Reaction score
I'm a fairly experienced kit winemaker (about 15 or so under my belt), but this seems like a beginner question, so here goes:

I just made up the kit today, as per the directions. The temp is 24 C, the must is exactly up to the same line that I've been using for my other 15 kits, but my starting gravity seemed really high to me. It was 1.102. The target range in the instructions is 1.080 to 1.095. I can't think of a thing that I did any differently than any other Vineco kit that I've done, and I've never had any problems before!

Should I go ahead and pitch the yeast anyway?

I'm no expert and have only done RJ Spagnols kits but I wouldn't think its a problem. I've done about 25 kits so far and had a few in that range and they were the premium kits. (which I've come to prefer and will probably not do any of the cheaper kits any more.)
Cheers!

I haven't done Kenridge either but I've heard they are good kits. Some people would kill to get a Sg in the range you have for a premium kit. Final ABV will be close to 15% depending upon where you end up when its dry. Nowadays 14-15% ABV for a store bought red wine is pretty standard from what I've seen

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

If the brochure says it is supposed to make a 15% wine, then they should use different instructions that say this. They just use the same 6-week instructions for any of their kits. Doesn't WE have special instructions for their LE kits? Well, Vineco hasn't updated their website in over a year, so why would they change kit instructions.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

If the brochure says it is supposed to make a 15% wine, then they should use different instructions that say this. They just use the same 6-week instructions for any of their kits. Doesn't WE have special instructions for their LE kits? Well, Vineco hasn't updated their website in over a year, so why would they change kit instructions.

Generic instructions are basically wrong (in some way) for every kit. And the sg range is one item that is a common complaint. I guess Vineco doesn't feel the need for special instructions for their low volume of limited edition kits.

Which Vineco web-site?

The old one...
http://www.vineco.on.ca/frameset.html

or the new one...
http://www.vinecowine.com/

Don't know why the old one is still around.

Steve

Iam currently making this kit myself, and the starting sg was the same as dave stated. In the brocheur, which lists the limeted edition line up for 2010 it states that the australian mourvedre is 15 % alcohol.

Well, it turns out that I was looking at the old website. I thought it was kind of funny that it hadn't been updated in so long! haha The new one is nice.

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have a pretty high alcohol wine. I can't wait.

Back