Other Kenridge founders brunello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy8998

Reaction score
My brunello kit is now in the bulk ageing phase (as of today) the gravity shows exactly 0.100. I thought it would drop when I tested to degass etc but it hasn't. Will it drop over the months of ageing in the carboy or is this standard for this type of wine??

Billy I cant answer your question but have always wanted to try this kit. Please post your progress and tasting notes as you go.

Tony.

Will do as long as I haven't made a hash of it. At the moment it's bursting with young vibrant fruity flavours just if anything a tad sweet hence my concern.

Billy we have no where near enough info . Did you add chemicals , did the hydrometer read the same for 3 to 5 days. 1.0 seems high to me for brunello. If it continues to ferment while aging, yes it will drop.Then you will need to degass again if that happens if you added K meta it is hard to say what will happen if it was not completely finished. It may drop or may not. Sorry I am not much help. My best advise is put it under airlock and let it set for 3 years. It is Brunello after all

Cheers mike

Yes did add the k meta. I had left it ages and the gravity didn't budge so got on with degassing sorbate and meta. Left it further and did a final degass today ready to leave for bulk ageing and took another reading and it was the same 0.100. The temp was a consistent 22deg c throughout fermentation and when it hit 0.100 it simply stayed like that for a week so I assumed that was it done. I suppose all I can do is leave it forget about it and taste every 6 months.

Billy,

I did the same kit and it definitely went lower than 1, to more standard for a dry wine 0.994. I would recommend rising the temperature a bit and allow it some time. What was your starting gravity? Mine was quite high 1.100 even before adding the skin pack. I even asked KenRidge if I should add a little more water to dilute it, but they said it was designed to be so high. So I just let it run. I was afraid that I would get a stuck fermentation, because the projected alcohol content was 14.5-15 and my yeast had tolerance of 14%. But it went quite smoothly. It was warmer than now, possibly it helped.
If you are going to try it before it is 1 year old. It will probably be a wasted bottle. It does not have the kit taste of WineExpert so when it is young it is not very drinkable. The whole Founder's series have to be aged properly before you can drink it. It is like the old Crushendo from WE: no touch before it is 18 months old.

Wookey

If it was stuck and you added sorbate and K Meta then it will probably stay where it is.

Well all Ivan do us up the temp and leave it. See what happens. Shame. Wookey it was high at the start also the volume after racking was high no need to top up if anything i needed to lose some

Update: well upped the temperature and a few bubbles have occurred wow. Maybe be the last of the co2 mind so not getting over excited but ill take a reading in a few weeks and hope fore the best

Billy,

If you just added metabilsulfite, you should be fine. It prevents growing of bacteria and wild yeast, but does not harm cultured yeast. If you do wine from grapes you usually add it in must to kill everything in it and then add yeast and it does not stop them from fermenting. If you, however, added sorbate, you may have problems. Although, it does not kill the yeast, it seriously weakens their function and prevents them from multiplying. But even then there should be enough yeast to finish it. It may just take a bit more time.

Wookey

Cheers wookey, I also emailed vinco who have said that since the kit starts so high, by the time it hits the 0.100 mark the alcohol is about 14% so kills off the yeast, he said it was normal and of left for 6 months would reduce very very slowly and be good to go. Maybe a bit of pr to keep me sweet (pardon the pun) but I'm happy to buy into that idea

Back