Kegging wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a 15 gallon keg and storing 10 gallons of wine in it. Will there be any problem due to the 5 empty gallons. I was going to pressurize w nitrogen.

I would say that is depends on the wine. If the PH level is correct, the Free SO2 is correct, and the wine has a good tannic structure, I do not believe that you will be at a big risk of oxidation or spoilage. however, since you are storing the wine in a pressure tight seal, you may need some serious degassing before you bottle.

@JohnT Will nitrogen even solubilize in wine at room temperature and modest PSI?

@OP It should be fine, but you will have to purge the empty space a few times to ensure no O2 remains in the airspace mix. Since N2 is not liquefiable at room temperature and achievable pressure, you will need to use compressed gas, meaning that it could get expensive pretty quickly. I suggest purging the airspace 3 times. You can measure the volume of gas displaced to ensure that limited O2 remains.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't a flex tank be better for this?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back