Keeping wine warm-maintaining temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhaynes

Reaction score
We live in an old house with big rooms. We keep our wine making equipment in one of the bedrooms with a thermostat controlled electric heater. Trouble is the electric bill has gone up $25-30 a month since we started making wine. I've seen references to people building temperature controlled boxes for their fermenting equipment. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a link to DIY plans for such a contraption? My wife loves the cold and keeps the house on 55-60 F when I'm out of town 5 days a week so a brewer's belt isn't going to cut it.

I use a "rope bucket", water and an adjustable aquarium heater. I cover it with a first aid blanket. Works fine.

... My wife loves the cold and keeps the house on 55-60 F when I'm out of town 5 days a week ...
Whoa. That's cold. My wife gets mad if it is set to 70 (or lower) in the winter. :po
I can see how raising the temperature to 70 or higher would significantly affect your heating bill.

I went to a home supply store and bought the space blanket type insulation, (it looks like 1/4 in reflective insulation with a air space in the middle) .
I cut it so it was about 2 inches bigger in diameter then my carboy, taped it together with packing tape and made a flat lid with a hole for my air lock to stick out. I heat it with a heat mat and brew belt if depending on the weather) and monitor the temp with a temp control for starting seedlings. The whole mess, brew belt, pad, temp control and insulation cosl me about $80.00.

Works great I like in Alaska were cold can cause problems.

Kevin

The aquarium heater idea is great because the heater is thermostatically controlled, unlike a brew belt, which heats constantly.

My only recommendation would be to use two heaters, in case one goes out on you.

some put aquarium heaters in the primary ferment barrel. That would be great but not if you need heat for a carboy. I like the idea of a brew belt and a thermostatically controlled electrical connection

Thanks to all for all of the interesting ideas.
Kevin - Where did you get the temperature controller? Do you know the manufacture, model & cost?
RegionalRat's giant watering tub with aquarium heater for up to 4 containers at a time was also interesting but I don't think I have room for it and hauling water from the bathroom to fill it and empty it seems like a pain.
Chiumanfu's approach seems similar to Kevin's. I ordered one of the controllers like he used from Amazon. It was cheap and had free shipping but when I got the shipping acknowledgement I found out it is coming by boat from China and will be here in 1-2 months :-( you would think if something had a 1-2 month delivery delay they would tell you that in big letters.

I need to be able to keep anywhere from 2-4 primaries & carboys warm at one time. I don't rely want to buy 4 temp controls and 4 heat sources. I was thinking more in terms of an enclosure of some kind and a small electric space heater with temperature control. Anyone every try something like that?

Back