K Sorbate in MLF Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal Maulden

Reaction score
I am preparing to do a MLF on some Muscadine. I was reading an article in BCAWA on MLF. In this article is says "Do Not use any form of sorbate in a MLF wine. In the event of renewed MLF, sorbate will produce gerniol...". My question: I thought that you could add sorbate AFTER MLF and be okay. Is that not true? I thought that if you increased the SO2 to over 30 ppm MLF would not start? How would you sweeten a MLF wine if you could not add sorbate?

Hal

Well this question really got my attention and I have done lots of research for an answer but don't really have one.
smiley7.gif

It appears sweetening a wine that has gone through MLF is really against the norm and would require walking a fine line and a bit of luck.

Adding sorbate to prevent re-fermentation of the yeast and adding enough sulfite to hopefully prevent renewed MLF...
smiley5.gif

I would suggest picking one or the other....

Everything I have ever read says "Do not use sorbate on a wine that has gone through MLF!" It has a very high probability of throwing off flavors.

Although I have not tried it, I believe you can do a MLF, sweeten the wine and use potassium sorbate. The key is that gerinol will be produced if there is a renewed MLF.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
You would need to test that MLF has completed and that there was no malic acid remaining to be converted, sulfite to at least 50ppm to kill any remaining viable MLF bacteria, then stabilize with potassium sorbate. I would wait a few days between the sulfite and the sorbate

As Masta has pointed out, it is not without risk. Although I believe the risk to be minimal, I would not try this on more than half the batch. Just in case. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Hal, Could be wrong, but I think Hippie addressed something like this
recently at his new forum. Maybe you already saw it. Anyhow, what did
you decide to do?

Bill

Back