k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need a lot. I spray mine with a mix of water (quart) and ? teaspoon+ of k meta. Don't sniff this. Some will mix up for storing.

3 tbls of kmeta to 1 gallon of warm water. Put your corks in a collander over a bucket that has a lid like your primary bucket. Pour some of that solution like a cups worth over your corks and then put the lid on over all of this and let it sit for 5 minutes dripping dry and then use the corks and you ca put the solution back into your jug cause its still good.

Use a corkador.
In a sealable bucket of, say 2.5 gallons or more, place an open jar in the bottom of the bucket. Put your corks in the bucket around the jar.
Pout about 1/2 cup of kmeta in the open jar; seal the bucket's lid and let it set for an hour or so. The fumes from the Kmeta will do all the sanitizing you will need.

Yep the coridor is the best method and Ive been doing so for many years. You can keep lots of other stuff in there also as long as it aint metal. i keep racking hoses in there also.

You can go to Almost any bakery and they will give you empty food grade icing buckets. They come in several sizes from 1 gallon to 5 gallons. Clean them out well and sanitize them. They are great corkadors and can serve many other purposes.... cheaply.

I get my buckets from Wal-mart, Target, and Albertson's.

If the corks come straight out of a sealed bag, they don't need any sanitizing at all. Remember, your wine is 12 percent alcohol or so. It will kill all kinds of minor bacteria all by itself.

If in doubt, just dip them in whatever solution you're using to sanitize your racking equipment and bottles.

Jim

I disagree with that . Most places buy them in bulk and package them in bags per order after everyone else in the store has been fingering through them to count theirs up and bag them. Maybe you are talking about a different kind of sealed bag though hopefully.

Back