k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
Previously i've used campden tablets in my wine. now i have k-meta. how much should i use for one gallon and three gallon batches?

The dosage for kmeta is 1/4 tsp for 5-6 gallons. So it would be 1/8 tsp for three gallons. The easiest way to measure it out would be to put 1/4 tsp in 6oz of water and ensure it is totally dissolved and mixed up. Then put half of it in a 3 gallon carboy or 1 oz in a gallon container.

should always go by whats on the package. Mine is 1/4 tsp per 5 gal. 1/4tsp divided by 5 = 0.25 ml (milliliters)

I have always done 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

This comes out 1/16 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons of wine.

So for 3 gallons i would use 1/8 tsp and for 1 gallon a tad bit less that 1/16 tsp.

I bought both campden tabs and k-meta. After much reading on here it seems the tablets are just easier to use on small batches 1-3 gallons, being that they are pre-measured at 1 tablet for 1 gallon. I will use the powdered when I step up to the big "5 and over gallon" batches. Seems to me it would be much easier to use the tablets than to try and measure 1/16 of a teaspoon.The smallest my adjustable dry measure spoon will go is 1/8 tsp. Good for 3 gallons I guess.

I bought both campden tabs and k-meta. After much reading on here it seems the tablets are just easier to use on small batches 1-3 gallons, being that they are pre-measured at 1 tablet for 1 gallon. I will use the powdered when I step up to the big "5 and over gallon" batches. Seems to me it would be much easier to use the tablets than to try and measure 1/16 of a teaspoon.The smallest my adjustable dry measure spoon will go is 1/8 tsp. Good for 3 gallons I guess.

While I use mostly powdered, I do have campden tablets also for the single gallon batches. Hard to go wrong that way.

I noted on another post recently that the campden tablets I use are 2 per 1/4 tsp - I crushed a couple just to check. This is double the dosage being discussed. I don't know if there are different sized tablets or different strength tablets or if fillers make up the difference, but there seems to be a discrepency.
Anyone else measured some crushed ones to see what the volume is?

I noted on another post recently that the campden tablets I use are 2 per 1/4 tsp - I crushed a couple just to check. This is double the dosage being discussed. I don't know if there are different sized tablets or different strength tablets or if fillers make up the difference, but there seems to be a discrepency.
Anyone else measured some crushed ones to see what the volume is?

So there will be some disagreement on this, BUT generally campden tabs are sodium metabisulfate and kmeta is potassium metabisulfate. The campden tabs are less concentrated as well (binder maybe?).

I keep both around -- I use campden when sulfiting the must at the begining, and I use kmeta for stabilizing + sanitizing equipment.

:r

There are different strengths for campden tablets and there are both sodium and potassium tablets. Just follow the doirections on the package as Ive seen even powder in different strengths but not for awhile now, just when I started.

Do you you guys disolve the tablets in warm water before adding to a batch? Sometimes I get little flecks in my wine, aand think it is undisolved tablets?

Always crush them very good first. I put them in a little baggie and smash them with a hammer and theh dissolve it in a bit of hot water or wine.

I will start doing it that way. I had been just using two spoons and crushing it between them.

Thanks
Dave

When using campden, be certain to crush it until is has the consistancy of talc. :b

I strictly use powder. I disolve 2 tsp in 20oz of water and keep sealed in a glass jar. Adding 15ml per gallon is the same as adding 1/4tsp to 5g. I use a syringe, but 15ml is the same as 1 Tbsp.

Latest posts

Back