K-meta schedule

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have seen conflicting sources as when to add K-meta. What is best 1st racking, 3rd racking and so on. One source said 2nd racking, 4th racking and so on. Also what about the last racking before bottling, should I add K-meta no mater what.

You will find a wide variety of opinions on any schedule for the addition of k-meta. Really there can be no hard and fast rule for it, just generalizations. How muchand how often is needed is dependant on your winemaking process, the type of wine, the pH of the wine and dozens of other factors. If you are doing a kit, follow their instructions. I making something else make it the way others have before with sucess. The best and most reliable way is to test for free sulfite and adjust accordingly.

Cowboy---If you think you're going to stay with this hobby and look forward, in the future, to having more wine around then I would really encourage you to get an SO2 tester such as the Vinmetrica 100. There is no substitute for accurate testing. Free SO2 is what protects the wine--not the SO2 that becomes bound. And the PPM of free SO2 needed to protect a wine depends on PH. This is why it's important for you to know the PH of your wine, even if there's no need for PH adjustments pre-ferment. So it's hard to tell you how much SO2 a wine needs without finite numbers.

Back