K-meta question-1st dose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a quick question regarding the first time to add k-meta. I started 5 gallons of chenin blanc juice on Jan. 17. Starting sg was 1.080. I racked to a 5 gallon carboy this evening as the sg was 0.098. I have under bung and airlock currently as well. I was going to wait another week or so to see if the sg will get to 0.096 and then add. So, when is the optimal time or sg to add the first dose of k-meta? Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Wine Making mobile app

Last edited:
First dose should have been at 1.080.

SG doesn't really relate to SO2. Try to keep it to 40 - 50 ppm.

I was under the impression that adding kmeta too early may stunt fermentation and potentially cause issues down the road. This is my first juice bucket so I just wanna make sure I'm still ok.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Wine Making mobile app

Matty,
You are right, so2 can cause problems with ferment especially if you are heavy handed. Been there done that.
I would only be adding at first racking. Up until then the co2 from the yeast is giving you protec,tion

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Wine Making mobile app

Actually I would do as you asked, give it another week to see if your sg comes down any lower, then add your k-meta.

What doctorCAD is referring to would be while doing wine from grapes or other fruit you add sulfitesd a day before the yeast to help stunt wild yeasts so you ensure the fermentation takes place with your chosen wine. Most juices and kits don't do this, but do as you want to. You try to get the wine dry before adding sulfites or risk a stalled fermentation.

A good rule of thumb is to check your SG ever couple days from now until it goes dry. As soon as you get your third identical reading rack to a clean Carboy and add your K-meta. I add K-Sorbate at the same time but that is another topic and you may not need the Sorbate if your going to leave it dry.

Could someone clarify the point/sg that is referenced several times here as "when the wine goes dry"? .996 and lower? Sorry for the movie question.

Every batch potentially can be different; 1 or typically lower with no movement for 3 - 5 days is what I would consider dry though I am usually in a secondary under airlock so I usually leave it a little longer, more so out of necessity with a busy schedule. To be honest, looking back through my notes, I haven't had anything recently finish over .995

Last edited:
This can very depending on the fruit, what yeast, temp, ect. Anything under 1.00 that don't drop any lower over the next week or so is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making App

Latest posts

Back