K-meta powder vs. tablet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just b careful with campden tablets because Ive read that there are different strengths of these, Ive never seen it just read it.

Well the recipe calls for 1 Campden tablet per gallon of wine. I'm wondering how much powder to use...

What size batch?

I use 1/8 tsp per 3 gallons or 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallon. For a simple way fo making up the correct amount- take six ounces of water or 60 ml water. Add 1/4 tsp k-meta. Then add per gallon either one ounce or 10 ml depending on the scale you use. Be sure you understand this- if no ask and one of us will try to clear it up.

The way I approach it is a bit more circuitous. It is as follows. Assuming 1 Campden tablet has 55 g K-meta (which is a number I have read several times with the caveat that it can vary), it results in 75 ppm of SO2 in 1 gal of must. 1/4 tsp of powdered K-meta results in 225 ppm of SO2 in 1 gal of must. That means that 3 Campden tablets would result in the same amount of SO2 in 1 gal as does 1/4 tsp of K-meta (225 ppm). So, I make a solution of 1/4 tsp K-meta dissolved in 3 oz water, then when a 1 gal recipe calls for 1 Campden tablet, I put in 1 oz of that solution.

As I said, that's a bit circuitous -- but that's just my brain, I guess.
smiley5.gif

Either one is close enough so just follow the one you understand better or would be easier for you.

Latest posts

Back