K-Meta bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiml

Reaction score
I ordered 1lb of K-Meta from a store near me(takes one day to deliver via UPS ground). I just opened the box and found that there are large chunks in the k-meta bag.

From my reading, K-meta will go bad due to humidity or moisture and I think lumps would be a sign that this K-meta has been exposed to such conditions.

I don't have any sulfite test strips. Does K-Meta typically have large lumps in it? I am talking US quarter sized lumps that are difficult to break up. Not to mention a bunch of smaller lumps. I can definitely say it is totally different looking than the K-meta I received when I purchased my equipment kit from another store.

It's not that unusual for K-meta to clump up as it naturally picks up moisture from the atmosphere. Plus your on the Atlantic coast or not too far and you have a fair amount of humidity in the air. I would make up a batch. Either 1G or 1/2G and see if it has that wonderful smell that we all come to love or hate as winemakers.

If it doesn't take your breath away (after you mix up and shake well to get it all into solution) then you very well may have a problem and should contact the LHBS that you ordered from.

i buy mine in 60 or so lb packages and then we break them up into 2-4 lb packages and then we vacuum seal them w a food saver type of thing...same w the sorbate...

moisture is the enemy in storage

Latest posts

Back