Just racked into the carboy...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
So I just racked it into the carboy yesterday. I added some marbles to top off but wonder if I should add more. What do you think?

Also is it normal that it's not bubbling at all?

Picture 1190.jpg

what was the gravity reading when you racked into the carboy?

I was too much in a hurry to get it racked that I didn't take it. Oops It was barelly bubbling in the pail so I wanted to be on the safe side.

I think Julie was trying to find out the SG reading which you need to do. With that info you can tell if it is still fermenting. If it is then the yeast will release CO2 which will protect the wine and not have to worry about that extra space. If it's done fermenting then you should probably use a smaller carboy or add similar wine. Unless you have access to CO2 or argon?
Julie - if that's not what you meant, sorry.

That's what I was trying to find out Rob, thanks.

Take a reading now and the small cup inside the airlock, is it tilted or is it laying on top of the tube that goes inside the airlock? It it is tilted you do have pressure but just take a reading and remember ALWAYS take a reading, you won't regret getting into this habit. Eeryone here has probably made the mistake when first starting out by not taking a reading somewhere along the way and has regretted it.

then it should still be fermenting and to be honest you racked too soon. Keep an eye on this. Have you noticed if the cup inside the airlock is tilted? It it isn't I would be concerned because this tells me there is no pressure and there should be. Take another reading about three days from now and see if it has changed at all.

Yes it's tilted. Thanks for the advice I will take another reading in 3 days. So should it be okay for now?

Yes you are okay. When you racked it this soon my thought was possibly you might be headed to a stuck fermentation but you are not. Actually, wait a week before taking a reading and when it gets down below 1.00 then see about racking into a smaller carboy.

That is the smallest one I have so I guess I can either add marbles or wine. Thanks again.

Here it is: 1.06
gloo:

Is that 1.060? Or do you mean 1.006? [You should ALWAYS quote sg in 3 decimal places. If you are unsure about your readings, please ask.]

If it was 1.060, I would have expected some signs of fermentation. You mention a quiet primary, and there's no evidence in your carboy pic.

Steve

gloo, from one beginner to another, I always rack from the primary (well, I don't really rack, I just pour it thru a strainer) around 1.015 to 1.010. From what I gather this is the safest way, I'm still going to be fermiting when it gets in the secondary so I will purge any air out with CO2, and I figure head space isn't that important. It is important thou when you don't have fermentation going on because you have no way of purging the O2 out. That's when you need marbles or top it off with a like wine. I haven't had any problems doing it that in all my time making wine (a full 6 months). Would someone please correct me if you see a problem with the way I'm doing it.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Okay here's some more information so that you can see if I did anything wrong give me the best advice.

Starting sg. 1.110 (probably a little too high?)

On the day I mixed it all up I added everything including yeast. 24 hours later there was no sign of fermentation so I added another pack of yeast. This time I rehydrated it before. 24 hours later fermentation started (march 24).

Racked it on Friday 1 april. (wednesday the sg. reading was 1.060) Yesterday saturday when I took the the reading it was still 1.060. Is that normal?

Picture 1155.jpg

Picture 1157.jpg

Picture 1160.jpg

Okay so I just took another s.g. reading and it is now 1.051 so it's slowly going down. Should I top it off of should I wait until the fermentation stops. Thanks

I am a newbie also but from what I have read; as long as you are fermenting or at least having enough gas bubble off to keep the airlock bubbling every minute or two you are purging enough gas to protect the wine. Once the bubbling slows down you need to be real careful about o2 exposure. There is a point where opening and closing the bung to take readings can do you a dis-service so i would wait until I see the airlock releasing bubbles at a very slow rate and then measure and be prepared to rack or re-lock quickly since it has already been racked once anyway. An "old timer" told me during primary of grape fermentation he stirs the wine when very active in the first 3-4 days and then unless the skins are really being lifted up he keeps the lid and lock on and just shakes the bucket side to side until at least 10 days before taking a SG reading.....that was his thought since even if the wine is done fermenting it will continue to slowing self degass CO2. Good luck

Latest posts

Back