WineXpert Just purchased a pinot blanc kit 1/2 price

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnied

Reaction score
My local brew house sells a few wine kits and sold me an out of date (according to him)Vinter Reserve Pinot Blanc kit for $35. (kit code 0125809-0359). I thought that I would take a chance on this kit for the $35 and see how it turns out. Anyone ever done an out of date kit? How did it turn out?

I never made one, make sure your yeast is still good, if not buy a fresh package of yeast and it should turn out ok....

I bought a kit that was almost expired earlier this year, and it turned out fine. As Jeff mentioned, just use a new yeast packet if the old one is expired - that's the part that seems to have the shortest shelf life in the kit.

It's a little over a year old and these kits should be good for about 18 months or so. As others have stated check the yeast, but it should be good also - or get a new one and be sure, it's only a buck.

In my experience, the yeast pack has the longest shelf life. Last year, I made an RJS kit that was manufactured in Feb 2009, and the yeast was dated for Aug 2011 (first carboy tag that I picked up). Personally I wouldn't want to make a 2.5 year old kit.

Steve

Steve - 2.5 years??
kit made 02-2009. Yeast good till 08-2011. That's 2.5 years. For the yeast to be out of date, you'd have to wait 2.5 years before starting the kit.

Steve

Gotcha - I'm a little slow on the uptake!! Thought you were referring to the poster's kit. Good point - if the yeast is out of date, the kit is probably way out of date.

Thanks everyone for the replys. I'm kinda new to this wine making adventure but I'm gonna have fun with it. I have a kit in the primary and plan to start this kit early December. I'll make it a point to pick up a new packet of yeast. From what I understand it's always good to have a spare handy! I'll post back how it turns out. — RD

From what I understand it's always good to have a spare handy!
RD:

Spare yeast - sure. EC-1118 is the most common but a few kits use other yeast eg RC-212, K1-V1116, ....

Spare hydrometer - DEFINITELY. Most breakable item in the wine making kit.

Steve

Last edited:
I started this kit December 1st and it is progress nicely. Yeast was fine. I had purchased a new pack just in case the one with the kit didn't work. It is now in second fementation and doing wonderfully! I will take a SG reading on the 17th and again on the 18th to make sure that it's stable and then start the clearing and fining process. Looking forward to the spring to see how this wine turns out!
RD

Latest posts

Back