Just curious about clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
Since this is my first kit (vintners reserve white zinfandel) I am just curious how long it takes to notice a huge change once you have added the clearing agent? Of course I degassed first with my drill and degassing tool. Just wondering what you guys have experienced before. The instructions say wait 14 days and check to make sure it is completely clear. It has already cleared some but still pretty dark. Thanks again in advance for your input.

If you degassed you should start to see a change in the color of the wine within a few hours. Normally it takes 4 weeks (I allow 6) weeks for mine. Keep it in the warm range, say low to mid 70's if you can. That will assist the clearing.

If you take a flashlight and shine it thru the other side you can't see it. In a few weeks you will begin to see better until it's extremely clear.

Does the kit say if it's bentonite or sparkolloid or superclear?

I have noticed a change in color so far its been about 5 days. In the third stage the kit had me add; metabisulphite, sorbet, and isinglass clarifier. It just tells me to wait 14 days and check it if it is not clear it says allow another week.
Not sure if you know of that clearing agent but thats what they provided me. Thanks again for the help

Our local wine shop carries that one. Said it works very good, but shell-fish derivative. I had to go with superclear as my father-in-law can't take even a taste of the other. Superclear made a massive change over night.

Our local wine shop carries that one. Said it works very good, but shell-fish derivative. I had to go with superclear as my father-in-law can't take even a taste of the other. Superclear made a massive change over night.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really have a shop near by me to get advice from about clearing agents or any other things like that. I'll try that kind next time.

Redneck it is a derivitive but all the proteins are gone so there is no problem. SuperKleer contains shellfish derivitives also in the Chitosan. It is derived from the exoskeloton of crustaceans like shrinp and other shellfish. I emailed Superkleer many years ago and they assured me there would have to be very serious caution labels on this product due to its use if it contained anything that would cause allergie problems.

I am waiting on the same kit. My 14 days will be up on Oct 25th. The wine is dark but I can see the light when shinning a flash light through the carboy. I am planning to use my wine thief and take a sample on the 25th and see if it's clear in a wine glass. We are looking forward to our first batch coming out of the carboy and into the bottle! Good luck with your kit!!

I am waiting on the same kit. My 14 days will be up on Oct 25th. The wine is dark but I can see the light when shinning a flash light through the carboy. I am planning to use my wine thief and take a sample on the 25th and see if it's clear in a wine glass. We are looking forward to our first batch coming out of the carboy and into the bottle! Good luck with your kit!!

Awesome I hope you didn't add the F-pack early like it did haha. Let me know how yours turns out and I shall do the same. My 14 days will be up on the 29th of this month and hopefully everything is good because I have a white merlot kit on its ways ::

tsk tsk tsk kinda like going for an Island Mist and excepting Kool Aid :)

Haha so I take it these are not very good huh? Well at least I should be able to pass the wine off on the gf seeing how it was her pick to begin with lol. Hmm what to do next?? any suggestions

Sure, go to Lon's site and find the skeeter pee recipe. If you like lemonaid you should like this. Doesn't take long to make and is ready to drink pretty fast. My other piece of advise is when you bottle the skeeter pee, start another batch. It goes away pretty fast too. lol. Arne.

Haha so I take it these are not very good huh? Well at least I should be able to pass the wine off on the gf seeing how it was her pick to begin with lol. Hmm what to do next?? any suggestions

No I didn't mean not very good. I have made almost everyone if you take a look at whats in my cellar on my sig. line. Some are perfect as is and some are better tweaked. These are perfect early drinkers. Especially if you your wife was a Harbor Mist wine drinker. What I meant was you bought a good sirloin instead of the prime rib. LOL Even a sirloin is awesome when spiced up and cooked right.

No I didn't mean not very good. I have made almost everyone if you take a look at whats in my cellar on my sig. line. Some are perfect as is and some are better tweaked. These are perfect early drinkers. Especially if you your wife was a Harbor Mist wine drinker. What I meant was you bought a good sirloin instead of the prime rib. LOL Even a sirloin is awesome when spiced up and cooked right.

Haha good description of that! I will try that other kit a ways down the road when I have a bit more money but for now this will have to do. I'm going to split it into two three gallon carboys so I can tweak one and leave the other be. Should be fun for experimenting on haha

Latest posts

Back