just bought my wine making kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyo

Junior
Reaction score
just bought my kit, however i did not realize this before, i live in south louisiana and it does not stay a cool enough temp for long enough to make my wine. i bought the celler classic, german reisilng for my first batch.will the wine have to ferment and sit a the 60-70 degree temp or can it be a little warmer.

also this may be petty, but when do you clean and use everything. do you clean it right before you use it and does it have to be dry or can it still be wet when you use the equipment. just want to get itright so i am trying to get all my questiones out the way. i am sure i will have more questions to come but these will help me start.
thanks

HI yoyo. First of all let me say welcome. I glad to see more south Louisianians in the forum. As far as i knowthe conditions in weather and tempuraturesare finehere or adequate for homemade wine. We just have to guard a lil bit better like everyone else. Such as a brew belt for cold days. Some days you may need to stick your whole carboy in the tub with a wet towel wrapped around it when its hot outside. There are a few different things you can do to keep the conditions optimal. There are going to plenty of people whowant to help you on this site. So dont get discouraged yet and enjoy your new kit and hobby Edited by: kaluba

Welcome to the forum YoYo! Lot's of folks make wine in warm temp areas. If you make it this time of year it will be done before it gets too hot and then you can store it in the coolest areas you have. The warmer it is in the summer, the faster it will age. Let's get it made first and then we can discuss the best ways to store it.

Try to keep the fermenting temp in the high 60's to mid 70's. That is the temp of the must and not the ambient temp of the room. welcome Yoyo and I hope you stay for awhile.

Welcome to the Forum. There are a lot of very helpful people here and, just by asking a question, you will get lots of answers quickly.

I am in Georgia, so it gets pretty hot here in the summer, but I am fortunate enough to have a basement.

Clean your equipment before first use,and after every use.Sanitize just prior to using, a good rinse and its ready, doesn't have to be dry. Have fun, you will find you can make wine in your area, may have to do some things in extreme heat to keep cool, as we do up here in extreme cold to keep warm. Welcome and have fun!

appleman said:
Welcome to the forum YoYo! Lot's of folks make wine in warm temp areas. If you make it this time of year it will be done before it gets too hot and then you can store it in the coolest areas you have. The warmer it is in the summer, the faster it will age. Let's get it made first and then we can discuss the best ways to store it.

Thats what I do. Ac on months are good for making lots of diferent wines. next bulk aginging and when winter sets in, wines are still aging in bulk or bottle in a cooler room.

All my bad wine came from my own mitakes or experiments.

you will do great where you liveEdited by: scotty

Welcome to the forum, Yoyo. Clean and sanitize before each use, and thoroughly clean right after each use. Clean and sanitize for good wines. Your temps may present a few challenges, but certainly not enough that it should keep you from making good wines.

YOYO,theres no better forum out there than here,anything that can be made into wine,you can ask any question about it,at any time of day and probley get a reply,good exchange of ideas and wine makers on this site
smiley2.gif
smiley16.gif

Back