juice per pound

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartdog

Reaction score
I realize it all depends on the grapes, but the amount of juice per pound allways has othered me. I consistently here of amounts like 7 to 8 gallons per 100 hundred pounds. My experience has been more in the 5.5 to 6 gallons. This is from some self picked Pitite Sirah, and Brehem zin, Petite Verdot and Pinot Noir.

I am not pressing enough or long enough?

I did ~800lbs this last Fall. Pretty much every type varietal you could want in a Bordeaux blend. I easily got 6-7 gallons (of finished wine out of each 100lb of fruit) without pressing too hard. I was diligent about not tossing anything. I had full carboys all the way down to gallon jugs, 1.5L bottles, 750ml bottles. I combined them as things settled out.

Yeah - I got 270#s of Chardonel and I got about 13 gallons finished wine.

Not quite as good as Mike's but in the ballpark - but I didn't press very hard either - so pressing pressure could make an end volume difference as well.

Today I got exactly 15 gallons of juice from 180# of grapes, it still has a lot of settling and racking to do. I was predicting about ten gallons finished wine from the 180#.

Latest posts

Back