Juice bucket questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
Cali Cab is ready to rack for the first time and not sure how to use the potassium metabisulfite. It has been is the secondary for 30 days. Do i just sprinkle in or do I mix after I add. Next question I am going to add oak squares do I have to clean them before adding I so how. Thanks for your help.

If I am racking, I usually just put the k-meta in the empty carboy, then rack on top of it. If not racking, I dump it in and give it a gentle stir. On your oak, I have not used the stuff, but would give it a spray of sanatizer or mix a small bowl of sanatizer and dip it in before placing in your wine. Do not use a chlorine sanatizer as you do not want chlorine around your wine. Arne.

I oak most of my wines, soak the cubes/chips for 30 mins or so in a 50/50 k-meta solution......strain, then drop them in the carboy and rack on top.

Not saying that my way is better but what I do with the K-meta is to dissolve it in about a cup of the wine and then add it to the carboy during racking. I want to be sure that it is completely dissolved and this gives me a visual of that.

Regarding the oak cubes, I have used them a number of times and I do not prep them in any way.

I soak my oak chips in a meta solution for 15 mins, then rinse them and put them in a nylon pull string brewers bag, I (also sanitized in meta and rinsed), I add the bag to the fermenting bucket. I prefer to use the bag, this way if I taste the wine and it tastes too strong, I can remove it fast and all in one shot.

I'm doing a cab sav kit now, and will also add oak cubes. When I first got started I bought a big bottle of iodophor, and would like to use it up, but can I sanitize oak cubes with it? Won't they absorb the iodine and give it off in the wine?

Latest posts

Back