Jelly, Hot Pepper and Vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keller jelly wine recipe.
Just racked, using 2 jars Hungarian hot wax pepper jelly, 2 jalapeno jelly, 1 pear jam. (Pear jam? Is that a band?)
I read a VERY old thread here saying you can't use jelly made with vinegar. Well, yes you can. I don't taste vinegar - at least not yet.

Original SG 1.102 and racked at 1.004. I didn't add any sugar! In the future I might dilute closer to 1.00 or lower. Live and learn. Still bubbling so we might be looking in the neighborhood of 14% ABV.

Flavor is good. I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE HEAT ON THE BACK END!! Definitely will explore hot pepper in the future!

I regretted using pear jam seconds after mixing so I started another today using applesauce. Might be a better flavor combo. Same 4 jars of pepper jelly plus 1 tablespoon of trinidad scorpian jelly. SERIOUS heat.

Have room for 1 more batch in primary - been waiting a week for the damn bananas to ripen.

20220405_053930.jpg

Put the bananas in a bag with a sliced apple.

or keep practicing that patience thing. I’m itching to start a new batch of something. I’ll use an old laundry detergent bottle for secondary if I don’t find a new carboy shortly.

Put the bananas in a bag with a sliced apple.

or keep practicing that patience thing. I’m itching to start a new batch of something. I’ll use an old laundry detergent bottle for secondary if I don’t find a new carboy shortly.

I admire your ingenuity! Using an old detergent bottle is a fantastic idea!!! :rolleyes: Just curious, pain meds wear off yet?
Or...
Home Brew Ohio has decent prices. Free shipping at $59 order. I usually pad with a case or two of bottles to get me there. Won't go to waste. I'm in the same state, I know, but I usually get my orders the next day.

@winemaker81 said once I had the root canal I’d feel better.
(“I’m a winemaker, not a doctor“) 1649163528323.jpeg
Should have just had it pulled.

actually after having the broken bottles, return to labelpeelers, fed ex fiasco, and wait 2 weeks for my stuff, I found a LHBS is that the term? Local home brew store Italian 3 gal carboy for $37. No shipping no waiting.
Okay, I have to go eat something soft for breakfast now and take a few more pills.

oh yeah, forgot to add slept like a baby last night…..

woke up every 4 hours, whimpering, needing to get fed (pain pills.)

Last edited:
Using an old detergent bottle is a fantastic idea!!!
I would suggest using a gallon juice jug or even a milk jug before an old detergent bottle. I expect the smell will be held in the plastic. I made some salve with beeswax and put in a glass jar that held chopped garlic. Even though the GLASS jar was washed well, the salve smells like garlic. Tread lightly with containers.

I would suggest using a gallon juice jug or even a milk jug before an old detergent bottle. I expect the smell will be held in the plastic. I made some salve with beeswax and put in a glass jar that held chopped garlic. Even though the GLASS jar was washed well, the salve smells like garlic. Tread lightly with containers.
Oh, Lordy! My tongue-in-cheek humor was in response to @FlamingoEmporium 's tongue-in-cheek humor.

No I wouldn’t actually do that. No worries.
1649168600468.png

@winemaker81 said once I had the root canal I’d feel better.
(“I’m a winemaker, not a doctor“) View attachment 86592
Should have just had it pulled.

actually after having the broken bottle, return to labelpeelers, fed ex fiasco, and wait 2 weeks for my stuff, I found a LHBS is that the term? Local home brew store Italian 3 gal carboy for $37. No shipping no waiting.
Okay, I have to go eat something soft for breakfast now and take a few more pills.

oh yeah, forgot to add slept like a baby last night…..

woke up every 4 hours, whimpering, needing to get fed (pain pills.)
Yeah, $37 is a good price. I've been adding plastic carboys. The glass - even empty - get heavier every year. 😥

I wonder if rhubarb and habanero would be a good combo? Rhubarb is supposed to be a good base for a lot of wines and i have lots of friends always trying to unload rhubarb on me.
Possibly.
Unfortunately I don't have enough rhubarb to play with. Doubled my plants from 3 to 6 last year and will add more this year. Grocery store rhubarb is tasteless compared to home grown, IMO. Won't use it.

I must be odd. I don't grow habaneros anymore. I was disappointed in the pepper flavor. That's my criteria for growing - pepper flavor first, heat second. This year it's Corbaci, Paprika, Stavros, Red Savina, Black Hungarian, Hungarian hot wax, Trinidad Scorpian, Aji Charapita, Aleppo, and Chiltepin.

I'm definitely planning to experiment with the pepper. Using a movie metatphor - I'd like to use the pepper as the star, supporting actor, and the bit player you've seen somewhere.

Back