JAO DEBACLE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I'm worried about my 3-gal batch of Ancient Orange. My inability to follow simple (and humorous) directions has left me uncertain of the outcome of this batch. Here's my story- or confession, if you like.
smiley9.gif

I racked it after only one month instead of waiting two like the directions said. I did this because a- there was almost zero airlock activity, b- the orange slices were turning brown, and c- I forgot the directions saidtwo months instead of one and didn't bother to check before I racked it.
smiley24.gif

I racked to a clean 3-gal carboy and topped up with about 1/2-gal of water. Before racking I checked my SG and estimated that the bread yeast had produced around 11% ABV. For 7-10 days after racking nothing happened. The mead just sat there. No airlock activity and no signs of clearing. I moved the carboy out to my garage with the rest of my carboys and then thedaytime temps started rising. I've been really busy lately, but I noticed about a week ago that the airlock was bubbling again. This concerned me.
smiley3.gif

Did I introduce a different strain of yeast during the racking process? I try to be as sanitary as possible and spray everything with sulphite solution, but you never know. Does this renewed fermentation mean this batch will finish off dry? I sure hope not. Given all the honey it started out with, that would most likely produce something undrinkable.
smiley11.gif

So a couple of days ago, I popped the carboy into my new wine refrigerator, which is set at about 30 degrees F. That effectively stopped all airlock activity, and now it shows signs of starting to clear. I guess when I rack it again I should probably give it a dose of K-meta and K-sorbate, huh? Has anyone else had an experience like this? Am I the only one who can't follow directions?
smiley6.gif

Ken

My husband always complains that if I never measure and record the ingredients I'll never be able to produce the same meal. Fortunately I am a little better about my wine making notes. Your yeast most likely took a nap and as the temps started rising they woke up.
VPC

You may want to let it finish fermenting and see what happens. Like VPC said, the yeast might have just woken up when the temps rose. Mine went for just over the full 2 months in the primary before I stopped seeing bubbles (it was in the kitchen so at room temp). AfterI racked them tosecondaries to clear (I had a regular orange and a blood orange)it started up againfor a couple weeks in the blood orange. I let them bothsit for about a month and it came out fine when I bottled them.

Ok, the reason why you are supposed to wait 2 to 3 months is for the mead to finish fermenting and degass all on it's own. The instructions also state that you are supposed to keep it in a dark place in the kitchen or somewhere else quite warm to ensure that fermentation finishes. What you've witnessed is how unpredicable the yeast can be and why it says to wait a loooooong time. You don't need to hit it with k-meta, nor sorbate. Put it back in the warm room, and now wait a few more weeks for the yeast to continue with their job. However, a 1/2 gallon top-up might have watered it down by a significant factor, since you added an additional 17% water to the mix.

You did not introduce another yeast strain, and you did remove some of your flavor agents that may not have been fully extracted. Bring the temp up, and wait an additional 2 months to ensure it is all finished. It will clear all on its own when it is ready.

Thanks all. I finally get a day off this coming Sunday, so maybe I can check on this again then. Guess I'll pull it out of the fridge, let it warm up, give it a taste, andmaybe check the SG.

This mead finally finished fermenting around the end of may and started to clear. I recently racked and stabilized with K-meta and K-sorbate and then added Super Kleer. I racked it again a week later and popped in an American oak spiral. After clearing, the mead had a sweet, but tangy taste. The "tagy" part wasn't too great, a bit artificial tasting. We'll see how it comes along.

Glad the yeast woke up and finished the job. I have found with meads patience is not enough but forgetfulness is close. My mocha mead and cranberry cyser were trying to see which one could ferment slower. Without looking at my notes they both took about 10 months to ferment.
VC

Latest posts

Back