IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
The reports were coming in from reliable sources I trust and I could stand it no longer so I took off work today and tomorrow to do some serious crappie fishing. This morning I thought was going to be a "tear em up" day the way they started but alas the rains set in about 10am and they got the "lock jaw". Never got another bite so wet and cold I headed home about 1pm with still what was a good mess of crappie.

DSCN0001-5.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Until I moved to Memphis I never knew there were fish named crappie (pronounced "croppy") and breem (pronounced "brim"). Still have never eaten either.

Those look very nice Waldo, As I recall, a little smaller than last years catch, but they still look good................. Sniff, sniff......... Awe man......... I think I'm coming down with a cold............ I may need a couple of days off too.

Yummmm...those look good.We have Crappie up here too, some of them get to be a nice size.

Better luck tomorrow....keep us Posted on your 'hookie' day....

Now Wade, that's an insult to them! Crappie are really tasty and I don't know many people that will eat Sunfish
smiley11.gif
Of course almost any fish tastes good if cooked right, so maybe sunnies have a proper way to be cooked.

Wade, you know Milford right? I used to catch sunnies from the duck pond on the green when I was a kid.

That's a nice mess a fish you got there Waldo. Ever make ceviche?

Appleman, your missing a treat on the sunfish......

I use to go to my Uncles camp on Panther lake (NY)and he and I would fish for hours to come up with a mess of sunnies. He ad a way of frying them that was out of this world. He is 86 now and wants me to go back there with him this summer, I'm really looking forward to it.

I agree, sunnies are excellent eating! Sang, thats over by the
courthouse and 7-11. I used to go to Silver Sands and Chicks like every
weekend to pick up chicks! We also used to race on the beach at night
in our 4-wd trucks. Great times! Those were the days.

Those almost look like yellow perch! Anybody had both to compare the two?

PeterZ said:
Until I moved to Memphis I never knew there were fish named crappie (pronounced "croppy") and breem (pronounced "brim"). Still have never eaten either.

Peter you're going to have to come down one weekend then and feast on some good crappie

sangwitch said:
Wade, you know Milford right? I used to catch sunnies from the duck pond on the green when I was a kid.

That's a nice mess a fish you got there Waldo. Ever make ceviche?

I have only had it twice sang...Once on an Alaskan cruise we went on and I tried making it once myself from some Halibut but it didn't turn out right on my try. I may have let mine "cook" too long too as it marinated for a couple of hours.Edited by: Waldo

appleman said:
Now Wade, that's an insult to them! Crappie are really tasty and I don't know many people that will eat Sunfish
smiley11.gif
Of course almost any fish tastes good if cooked right, so maybe sunnies have a proper way to be cooked.

Amen there appleman......Crappie are the fresh water"Halibut" in my opinion. I love them grilled

wade said:
Crappie wine?
smiley36.gif
I guess you could make a wine from them wade. If you can make it with lizards you can make it with anything. Dont want to post it here cause it is so digusting but if interested just google Vietnamese Lizard wine.
smiley11.gif

Harry said:
Waldo Looks like enough to steank up a frying pan to me
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Thanks Harry.....I haven't heard that phrase used in years. Since my Dad passed away in "92" I guess. I can remember him using it frequently when we were fishing. I would catch a fish and aske him if it was big enough to keep and if it was he would always reply, "Well, I reckon its big enough to stink up the frying pan"

Waldo,

Those crappie have given me the urge again. This morning as I walked my dog in the rain, the earthworms were covering the sidewalks. My youngest (10) had the worm box and picked up dozens. Now if only the lakes around here would thaw enough to sneek a line in, I might be able to catch a few.

PeterZ, you don't know what your missing with these little guys. I would rather have a mess of crappie or bluegill 10 to 1 to bass or trout!

Waldo, your mess of crappie reminds me of when I was living in the Smokies -- there is a type of plant locally called a "ramp" similar to a wild onion with a topthat resembles a leek. In the national park they could be "picked" (pulled out of the ground like an onion) for "personal consumption." One day the park rangers stoppedalocal manwho had a paper grocery bag stuffedfull of ramps. The rangers cited him because they saidhe had picked"too many for one person."

The judge asked him what his defense was and he said "Judge, no one would bother to go into the woods pickin' ramps and come back with anything less than amess of ramps!"
smiley36.gif

The prosecutor protested that no one would know how many a "mess" was! But the judge ruled that any country boy who picked ramps would know how many a "mess" was -- CASE DISMISSED!
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back