It's been a bit chilly here lately, O Canada!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
We have just had a bit of a cold snap here over the last few days.

Had a -41c (-41.8f) and it figured it was the day I had to do a bunch of running around with the kids. Apparently it was the coldest it has been in the last 4 years.

My truck feels like it's going to rattle apart every time I hit a bump, and your lungs feel like they're going to collapse every time your nose is too stuffy to breathe through and you inhale through your mouth.

Cars spontaneously die on the commute, and even the tough teenagers are wearing toques.

Ah Winnipeg in January!

Anyone else currently loving winter?
Ray :snw

Here in Pennsylvania we had a heck of a cold snap. It's been in the low single digits most of the last 3 or 4 days. Wind chill was -20F for about two days. While that doesn't compare to -40, it still was the coldest its been in years! Looking at a slight warmup here in the next few days, though. Hopefully you will get a break, too!

It has even been cold here in central "Ahia" this Winter. We normally hit the teens as our lows but we have seen single digits for the first time in a few years. Ironically, I am reading Enemy at the Gates which a story about the Battle of Stalingrad in WWII and they talk about days of -40 F. Our temps here would be a veritable heat wave to them.

it's been down right frigid here in MI as well the last few days....just like everyone else has said, single digits and colder than it's been in about 4 years....feel sorry for the poor dog....he's a cocker/ terrier mix, so doesn't stand too far off the ground, so i'm sure it's taking a bit of a toll on his lil winkie when he gets taken outside to do his business....lol...

Cold here on the Atlantic coast too, but not -40 cold. Parts of NS around -20C but only -16 here.
Rocky - haven't read the book but the movie was very good.
I remember the song about Snoopy and the Red Baron and it being 40 below and thinking at the time that the song writer was smart since -40 is the same in C &F and all the listeners would know what it was. Anyway, it's damn cold in any language!

Hey, Dugger. The book is really great and has very little to do with the movie of the same name. Vassili Zaitsev is, of course, mentioned a few times in the book as are Koulikov (who was killed by the German major sniper in the movie but not in the book) and Vassili's girlfriend. The young boy who was hanged by the Germans in the movie, Sacha, is also mentioned in the book and was hanged along with two other teen agers for espionage activities. It was a terrilble time and this battle along with others in Russia sowed the seeds for the rape of Berlin by the Russian when the tide of battle turned. The book is historically accurate and talks a lot about the conflict and also covers the fates of the Italian, Bulgarian and Rumanian Armies who were in Russie as German allies. If one has an interest in WWII, I highly recommend it.

Yep Rocky, both read the book and watched the movie. As usual, the book beats the movie hands down. Arne.

By the way, hope you all are watching out for your brass monkeys. We had a couple nites like you are haveing not too long ago and lost our entire breeding stock when someone forgot to bring them in. :d Arne

Looks like I'll have to put that book on my to read list. I was wondering how factual the movie was with regard to the snipers and the Russian inspirational hero aspect.

I used to have a cabin in Northern MN where it would get down in the -40s from time to time. Ray take a cup of hot water and toss it into the air and it will instantly vaporize. Kinda cool! Literally..

Had a -41c (-41.8f) and it figured it was the day I had to do a bunch of running around with the kids. Apparently it was the coldest it has been in the last 4 years.

My truck feels like it's going to rattle apart every time I hit a bump, and your lungs feel like they're going to collapse every time your nose is too stuffy to breathe through and you inhale through your mouth.

Cars spontaneously die on the commute, and even the tough teenagers are wearing toques.

Ah Winnipeg in January!

Hey Ray you're about as hard to take serious as Rocky is. All you talk about is the cold frigid weather and and the whole time we're looking at the hot avatar picture you have. Is that your wife? Our compliments go out to her! It's pretty damn cold here too. :sm

Ah Winnipeg in January!

I am! The lowest temp so far was this morning at 50 degrees. todays temp was 77 with little humidity. I love southwest Florida!

Hey Ray you're about as hard to take serious as Rocky is. All you talk about is the cold frigid weather and and the whole time we're looking at the hot avatar picture you have. Is that your wife? Our compliments go out to her! It's pretty damn cold here too. :sm

Hey Runningwolf,
Lol, thanks for that - that's me on my honeymoon in Vegas. It was damn hot in July, and so nice! My sandals were melting on the pavement. *sigh* I need to go back there, soon.

Oops, it was now reported that it was -44c...I hate you all. (You too Phil - argh!)

:slp

(hold on, let me see if I can get a pic)

Last edited:
Here we go, as of a minute ago:

The first picture you can kind of see the 'snow haze' it's not falling down, it's blowing sideways. 35 kilometer per hour winds :(

WP_000404.jpg

WP_000403.jpg

You have more snow than we do. We barely have anything covering the ground. I don't think we have even hit -30C yet this winter. It's definitely colder up there in Winterpeg. ;) hang in here. This too shall pass.

Ah Winnipeg in January!

Very similar temps here in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario the last few days, even worse with wind chill at -48f. Our friends to the north of the Sault had it even worse though, -52f with wind chill. Think I'll stay inside and drink wine!
Jerry :dg

Latest posts

Back