Italian Volcano from Costco isn't working out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I tried this Italian volcano before and couldn't get it past 1.012 (PH 2.8). I think the acid levels in Italian Volcano are just too high.

I thought I would give it another chance. I've got a six gallon batch going that has stalled at 1.052. It was fermenting rapidly till I added another 20 ounces of lemon juice at 1.06. For a total of 87.6 ounces. I was planning on adding another 33 ounce bottle, but now I'll be happy if I can get it to go dry as it is. The PH is already at 2.9. Temp is a 75 degrees and I've been stirring, with a drill motor, twice a day.

I've used it without problem in my blueberry blood. I used two liters plus 5 gallons of water and frozen blueberries. Sugar to 21 brix - EC 1118 yeast. It fermented to dry just fine.

I've used it without problem in my blueberry blood. I used two liters plus 5 gallons of water and frozen blueberries. Sugar to 21 brix - EC 1118 yeast. It fermented to dry just fine.

I've got a new starter going now. I don't want to add anymore lemon now. I'm thinking I'll add fruit. How many pounds of blueberries did you add?

I used 8 pounds of blueberries. It's good but it certainly wouldn't hurt to use more if you've got them. I would not go less if you are looking for blueberry flavor.

I went with 6 pounds of blueberries and some blueberry concentrate. It brought the PH up to 3.2. Unless it is just the blueberry juice staining the PH strip.

The wine is now dry. It is tasting pretty good. It's a tart berry taste. It's not real blueberry forward. I guess I should have added more berries or concentrate. Do you think it would be a good idea to back-sweeten this with 16 ounces of blueberry concentrate? Is blueberry wine usually back-sweetened? It has a SG of .991.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RV72E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Italian Volcano Lemon with no issue. It will vary from season to season as it is 100% not from concentrate organic juice while ReaLemon is concentated and brought back up to a juice equivalency with the controlled addition of water.
Mmm, blueberry ginger + lemon!!

Juggernaut...the majority of non-dry fruit wines are backsweetened as it tends to bring the fruity component "forward". I suspect the majority of non-grape wines are on the sweet side of life, they usually need that residual sugar to showcase that burst of flavor.
www.homewinery.com also has an awesome assortment of 100% fruit wine concentrates-- http://www.homewinery.com/cgi-bin/concen.cgi
The link shows pricing for concentrate for 5 gallon batch BUT you can call them and order it by the pint. Very reasonable, very good stuff! I think 16oz runs $6-8??
- The brand you referenced has been used by many others also, no idea if 16oz ($20 + shipping fees) of said concentrate would be necessary but I used 8oz of that brand when I backsweetened a 5gal batch of BluePom. I learned of homewinery after that wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back