Cellar Craft It burns my nose!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annapolisDan

Junior
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. I'm in the middle of making my first batch of wine from a kit (CC Grenache Quartet) and have run into an issue. I've tried to follow the directions to the letter, but my wine has a strong smell. I'm guessing it's SO2.

It's been through primary and secondary fermentation. It's been through the stage with the oak cubes. I've racked it twice to remove lees. It's been degassed and I've cleared it. I've added all of the packets supplied with the kit, in the correct order. Right now it's at day 27 since clearing.

When I smell the wine, it burns my nose a bit. Just like potassium metabisulfite does, although not nearly as bad. I've only added potassium metabisulfite as directed and supplied with the kit. It does get some exposure from tools (wine thief, hoses, etc.) that I use that have been rinsed with potassium metabisulfite, but that should be pretty minimal.

Is this something I should be worried about? Will it eventually off gas and not be a problem?

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

Yes, S02 slowly releases over time and thus is the reason when bulk aging you need to add it so often. Either you have a super sniffer which some people have and can taste and smell what others cant or just to a much stronger degree. Your kit just came with one packet right?????

Hi Wade,
Yes, there was only one small packet of potassium included with the kit.

The wine doesn't have a sulfur smell, but does have a pleasant fruit aroma. That is after the initial sting you get from the wine. Am I correct in thinking this burn is from SO2? Should I test for free SO2?

Thanks,
-Dan

If you just add only one packet then there is no need to test it right now. Does it still burn now? If so I think you may have very sensitive taste buds and may want to really monitor sulfite levels in the future so as not to exceed a decent level and not add blindly as you can easily over do it. Just out of curiosity, do you like Broccoli? Most people who have more sensitive taste buds like this dont like foods like broccoli.

Yes, it still definitely burns. I even had a few other people give it a whiff and they get the same thing. Should I just give it some time?

Definitely love broccoli!
smiley4.gif

Try giving it a good stir. Time will surely rid the wine of this though.

Latest posts

Back