It begins... RJS Cellar Series Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, my Diablo Rojo kit, much lower end than yours, gave me the same impression. I also noticed a sodium aftertaste. Now mine is only 5 weeks old and also not bottled, so I checked the used metabisuphate package to make sure it was potassium based and not sodium. Guessing that is what people here term as "kit taste".

No, Kit Taste (KT) is basically a sweet, sorta bubble like gum taste. Has nothing to do with sulfites of any type.

And some people claim not to be able to tell.

Personally, I think it is from comparing a relatively young wine, since kits are often consumed young, with a two or three year old wine. But I could be wrong.

(Dang old fat fingers that sometimes think they have better things to type than my brain tells them to type).

Last edited:
I sacrificed a bottle over the last couple days. Surprised at how big it is. Adequately de gassed, but not very rounded at all. Hoping it mellows over the coming months. I'm going to let it sit till later in the fall before I try again.

I probably should have given this a "poof" test to be sure it was fully degassed. Next time...

Last edited:
Countdown to the next taste... I'm targeting mid November. I sacrificed a bottle to top off the Super Tuscan and the blend when I racked them off the oak (but, didn't take a taste of it for some reason). It smelled fantastic, though. I'm really looking forward to opening the next bottle.

We're having this cab with London broil tonight. I opened it up and poured a taste, then went to get another chair for the kitchen table. SWMBO was already tasting it. "Wow, this is really good."

I agree - no KT, Great body, wonderful taste. Just think what it will be like in another year... Or two.

Last edited:
AHHHH, so great to see others get that "accomplishment high" when things go right!

Time to start thinking about the next batch. You will be surprised how fast that wine will go!

I really like the labels BTW!

Last edited:
AHHHH, so great to see others get that "accomplishment high" when things go right!

Time to start thinking about the next batch. You will be surprised how fast that wine will go!

I really like the labels BTW!

Already there. I've got 140 bottles from 2015 on the racks right now and am planning three wines in 2016 winter and spring - the Forza, the Bianca Luna and the Fortitude. By late spring and into summer, I'll probably do an Island Mist of some sort and another red (maybe the cab/merlot blend).

And, thanks - I'm very happy with the presentation.

Already there. I've got 140 bottles from 2015 on the racks right now and am planning three wines in 2016 winter and spring - the Forza, the Bianca Luna and the Fortitude. By late spring and into summer, I'll probably do an Island Mist of some sort and another red (maybe the cab/merlot blend).

And, thanks - I'm very happy with the presentation.

140 bottles! Awesome for your first year (I assume that it is your first year).

Yep - year one and I've done 6 kits so far. I may pull the trigger on three more kits this month. Lots of good deals to be had.

Have you been to the LHBS lately? Brad had a bunch of older kits marked down, some were about 11 mos old, and they were like 40% off or so. I got a WE SE Valpolicella (I think Valroza now) dirt cheap. They had another one of those, a Cab Sauv, one of those French mixes I can't pronounce or spell, and a bunch of Island Mist kits. Worth the trip if you have time since it's on your way home?

Latest posts

Back