Issues after back sweeting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucson

Reaction score
My jalapeño wine dries to 1.096. I racked to secondary and added sorbate and clearing agent and after a week added 1/2 cup of apple concentrate. I now have a very lot of sediments basically the apple concentrate did not mix well.

I plan on letting settle for a month and then filter, the apple is very cloudy but the jalapeño wind on top is clear as a bell.

I also added some mint with the apple.

Is filtering the best? I have a new plate filter I really want to try out. Sure smells good.

I would let it sit for awhile to settle out then rack before filtering. No sense in plugging up the filters right off the belt. Besides you'll learn to hate the job if you can't filter the entire batch without changing your pads.

Thanks for the quick respond. I plan on letting it set for 2 to 3 weeks then rack and repeat before filtering and bottling.

My jalapeño wine dries to 1.096.
I hope that you mean that it finished dry at 0.996. 1.096 would be a pretty good starting sg.

eg (1.096 - .996) x 133 = (.100) x 133 = 13.3%

Plus, you want to rack off that sediment before filtering (especially your first few times). If you get much sediment in the filter pads, they'll clog up.

Steve

My bad, I started at 1.095 and finished at .996, geez must be getting old - oh wait - I am!! Haha

Latest posts

Back