WineXpert island mist vs arbour mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a CranApple Chardonnay that I wanted to make, and with my experience with the Peach "Perfection" Chardonnay I decided to add 4 lbs of sugar, 4 cans of Welches white concentrate and 3/4 of the f-pack in primary. The SG was 1.112 so the ABV should hit 15% or a bit more. I hope I didn't ruin it :d

I tried the Orchard Breezin' Green Apple Gewurztraminer for a quick drinker. I used half the F-pack in primary and the other half to back sweeten. I also added some sugar to the primary to bump it up to 1.075sg. It turned out good. After a year and a half of aging it is even better. I'll probably do another one at some point.

Sorry for jumping in here! I'm going to my local winery supplies place today... Who here has tried both the orchard breezin and the Niagara myst black cherry Pinot noir? Any feedback on which one tastes better? One of them is cheaper by a few $$ just wondering. Also has anyone tried the blue Pom white merlot?

I haven't tried them. However, taste is really subjective. So here's what I can tell you I've learned from others...

The Niagara Mist kits are less sweet made just as they package them. Both companies make excellent quality kits in general. Niagara Mist kits aren't available around here so I've made the Orchard Breezin kits and (except for the first one) I've added sugar, white grape concentrate and most of the f-pack in primary. My first example turned out way too sweet and low on alcohol.

If you intend to make the kit as its packaged, they get drank up so quickly you could make both and exhaust your supply in 6 months!

Thanks for the feedback! Well I was thinking obviously of bumping up the abv and keeping it less sweet and maybe doing a chocolate treatment to the secondary...

I'm thinking along the lines of a nice chocolate cherry merlot taste lol and not too sweet!

Once you go bumping the gravity and putting some part of the f-pack in primary, I think all bets are off regarding the original kit and how it tastes.

Sounds really good, chocolate cherry merlot... no offense but it sounds like a chic magnet recipe :) "Wanna go back to my place and sample my homemade chocolate cherry merlot?" Yeah, I think that'd work for guys, too!

Haha! That's funny! What's the final abv on it if you follow it correctly? I wasn't thinking of bumping too much. I'd like to get about 13.5% or 14%. Well I made a chocolate elderberry and it was very good almost immediately after being bottled all the men and women who tried it liked it so far. I thought chocolate cherry wine or port sounded good. I bought a commercial wine at Christmas called the chocolate shop and it tasted like those cherries you get in the box. Everyone at the dinner had to try some and they were all amazed at the flavor profile.

I'm still gonna try something from scratch but was just curious how this kit tasted wondered if it was worth the $$

Haha! That's funny! What's the final abv on it if you follow it correctly? I wasn't thinking of bumping too much. I'd like to get about 13.5% or 14%. Well I made a chocolate elderberry and it was very good almost immediately after being bottled all the men and women who tried it liked it so far. I thought chocolate cherry wine or port sounded good. I bought a commercial wine at Christmas called the chocolate shop and it tasted like those cherries you get in the box. Everyone at the dinner had to try some and they were all amazed at the flavor profile.

Most of those are just 7% abv. Most people add 4 lbs sugar and some of the f-pack which usually gets it to 11% abv. I've heard you have to be careful making it too 'hot' so I add Welches white grape concentrate, too. I might have overdone it this last time tho... I'm looking at 15% if it dries up all the way.

ya to me 7% is too low for anything... so I'd have to bump up for sure! That sounds like a strong batch you have there... let us know how it is in 6-12 or 18 months lol

Yep! My concord port will be packing a punch it finished at 17.3% before my even adding brandy to it! Let's see how smooth this will be after it's aged for 6 months! James says it's good!

So I have one of the raspberry peach sangria kits otw and was hoping to bump the abv a bit.
So should I just add sugar up front to raise the sg?
Or should I add the f pack up front instead?

Yes regarding the f pack. Add it according to directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

This is one of our favorite kits. I usually do 3-4 pounds sugar and the F Pack on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

so I added 4# of sugar and the sg went from 1.046 to 1.072 should I wait for a little while to recheck the sg?

I've had kits sg go up overnight after mixing in the grapeskin pack, I'm assuming this could happen here as well as the sugar blends in with the juice?

I'd really like the sg at 1.085-1.090.

Last edited:
I sometimes put a little warning on the bottom of my labels, much like the Surgeon Generals, stating this is not Kool-Aid!

Back