WineXpert Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
The question here is... at primary fermentation my SG was 1.048 which according to the instruction was the low side of the SG. So I left it go and the 5th day I checked it and it was SG.996 which is fine according to the instructions as long as its below SG 1.010. But if you read in the stabilizing and fining after 10 days it should be a SG .996. So I guess my question here is if it is starting out it's second fermentation at SG .996 and it says to wait 10 days before the stabilising and fining and there it is to be a SG .996 or less what is this going to do to the taste?? If anything.
smiley3.gif

It will not do anything to the taste. Let it sit the recommended amount of days and check with hydrometer that SG is stable and then proceed.

I started the same kit on 3-15-08 and had the same #'s as u. Followed the instructions and bottled yesterday 4-28-08. Tasted pretty good and should get better in a few months. Hope u get the same results!

I made this one for my mom just a couple of months ago. I think she's going to love it. It's VERY sweet. You may want to add part of the flavor pack and sample before adding the rest.

My IM Black Raspberry Merlot was fined and stabilized two weeks ago. Numbers were similar to yours, pizz, not that that means they are okay. I agree with Jeff H, probably didn't need a full F-Pack. I'm sorry now I didn't kick up that alcohol (now 6.4%) to 10%. It tasted pretty good before getting the bag of thick jelly.

John, you could add a bottle of everclear or vodka to bump up the abv.

wade, what is everclear?? When I rack this and need to top it off should I top it off with everclear or vodka?? instead of the whole F-pack??

Everclear is a brand name for grain alcohol. It is typically 190 proof. This will up the abv like people do when making a Port. Be careful adding it so you dont add to much. Adding this or the F-pack is a personal preference a to how strong you want it and how sweet you want it.

So wade I can find this in my liquor store?? by asking for Everclear?

typically yes, just ask for grain alcohol or Everclear. Like I said though, be careful adding this as it can overpower your wine fast.

ok, heres a stupid question.... what do most of you do with the wine you take out of the carboy to add the 3 packets in step 3??

wade, I did that and it was very tart. I'm sure it was tart because what I had taken out didn't have the F-pack added to it.

I put the extra in a separate bottle, but added some of the flavor pack & it came out the same as the main batch. I combined both yesterday & racked, but, carelessly, put the siphon hose into the lees, so I'll have to rack once more before I filter & bottle. It tastes great right now. Edited by: bj4271

Back