Island Mist Bahama Mama Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinoDave

Reaction score
I just ordered this kit from Label Peelers, anybody else order it yet? Thinking of adding Brewers Best Rum Oak Chips to it. Any thoughts on adding wood or anything else that might enhance the flavors?

I just ordered this kit from Label Peelers, anybody else order it yet? Thinking of adding Brewers Best Rum Oak Chips to it. Any thoughts on adding wood or anything else that might enhance the flavors?

I'm not sure that I would want any oakiness in something with these flavors, it doesn't seem to me it would be a good thing. Here's the taste description I found for this kit - pineapple with flavors of coconut, sweet brown rum, and a twist of tangy orange

So I can see where the rum oak chips thought comes from, but I don't know. I would think about grilling some pineapple, then saute that in just a bit of the wine base, add all to the primary and some orange zest to the secondary or during aging. But hey, it's your wine.

Interesting thought on the rum chips. Maybe they would impart some vanilla and caramel. Maybe a vanilla fpac add would be interesting instead. Agree the oakiness could go either way.

Interesting thought on the rum chips. Maybe they would impart some vanilla and caramel. Maybe a vanilla fpac add would be interesting instead. Agree the oakiness could go either way.

I have 2-3 gallon carboys, since this is a 6 gallon kit thinking of splitting the batch after clearing and then adding the Rum Chips to maybe 2 gallons to see what happened. The description states “sweet brown rum” so I would think Rum Chips may work. 🤔

Back