is MLF necessary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, this is good stuff.
So Surlees points out that kits should not undergo mlf (point taken), and it begs the question, how is it that kit reds turn out so well (including cab's) without it when they normally would benifit so greatly from mlf?

Secondly, Wade's post makes the process sound fairly easy to pull off, while surlees refers to something more complicated.
Since I prefer reds and most of my plans are for making them, I would like to understand. Can you fellas clarify? Are these details simply a difference of opinion?

Thanks much!

Wyntheef,

I didn't mean to imply that MLF is complicated; it's actually quite easy. Only that it requires some additional knowledge of the proper conditions to ensure it completes as it should and provides the intended results.

Fred

Thanks Fred.

From your earlier post:
"Also, there are special requirements pertaining to pH, temperature, Mlf nutrients, and low oxygen."

You also said you didn't want to get into detail here, but would you mind
sharing any of what you consider good references so I can read up on these matters?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Fred.

From your earlier post:
"Also, there are special requirements pertaining to pH, temperature, Mlf nutrients, and low oxygen."

You also said you didn't want to get into detail here, but would you mind
sharing any of what you consider good references so I can read up on these matters?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, here is a link to get you started... for more, Google "malolactic fermentation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malolactic_fermentation

Malo has been going strong for a week now. Constant small bubbles on top of the wine. Can't wait to see how this turns out compared to my non-malo batch.

quick question...
MLF has been going on for a week. Over this time its been clearing. Should I stir the lees to "feed" the MLB? Or, will I be risking the introduction of too much O2?

quick question...
MLF has been going on for a week. Over this time its been clearing. Should I stir the lees to "feed" the MLB? Or, will I be risking the introduction of too much O2?
Omerta you should feed your MLB with a dose of optimalo plus.It is a nutrient for MLB.

Malo finally showing signs of slowing. Ordered Malo and SO2 tests. Getting ready for the next steps.

We're in a bit of a cold snap here in Jersey. My apartment has cooled off quite a bit. Its a real pain to keep this place warm when the temps get in the low 20s. The malo has slowed but I need to make sure its not because the temp dropped to 70. I have the test kits but I'm a little leery of taking a sample and introducing 02 at this point.

Thanks a ton Wade. There is still a bunch of small clusters of bubbles. No where near the cluster size in the past three weeks. I suppose I should wait a bit longer for even less clusters.

i woulnt rack at this point untill you know mlf is complete.

malo looks to be slowing even more. There are two or three bubbles visible. I have the Accuvin tests ready to go. My next question is once I test that malo is complete and the level of ph and figure out the proper amount of SO2 to add... What else should I do to stabilize this wine?

Also

Should I test the TA at this point as well? I need to run and pick up a 5gal carboy. I can also pick up some Tartaric Acid if I need to adjust TA. This should have been at the beginning but... live and learn.

I added tannins at the beginning as well. I'd like to make sure this wine is as balanced as it can be. I wasn't completely happy with the quality of the must used in this batch but I'd still like to get to Army condition ( be all it can be :dg )

Once I test for MLF completion is it wise to treat this batch with Lysozyme as well as sulfite?

I just use sulfite after MLF is done, if for some reason I want to stop an MLF due to something like an infetion then I would hit it with the Lysozyme and then slam it with sulfites.

Latest posts

Back