Is it Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Winemaker

Junior
Reaction score
I started a 2 gal. batch of Merlot 7 days ago. Using juice from Alexanders, added sugar, water, etc and a begining SG of 1.100 . All I ever saw were some small bubbles. Nothing to active at anytime. I measures SG today and it is .999 and I am amazed that it has gone down so quickly with so little indication.

Could something else be going on here?

Thanks for any comments.

I started a 2 gal. batch of Merlot 7 days ago. Using juice from Alexanders, added sugar, water, etc and a begining SG of 1.100 . All I ever saw were some small bubbles. Nothing to active at anytime. I measures SG today and it is .999 and I am amazed that it has gone down so quickly with so little indication.

Could something else be going on here?

Thanks for any comments.
Probably not.

What yeast? Temperature? How big a primary was this 2 gallon batch started in? Were the bubbles on the surface of the wine or in an air-lock?

Steve

Magic, that's all!

Nah, each wine is different and can do that. That's why a hydrometer is so important for us wine makers.

Thanks for response

I used Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast and am using a 5 gal. bucket with loose fit lid & cloth covered airlock. Started out at about 66 degrees and after 2 days brought room temp to about 72.

Sounds like I need to get it in secondary pretty quick so that I eliminate all the extra headroom.

Yep, at an SG of 0.999, it is near done fermenting, but not quite. Once it is done, you will definitely need to rack the wine off the lees, degas it, and top it off.

not a bad Idea to rack it at .999
this can actualy help it finnish that little it of sugar left.

71B-1122 is a fizzy fermenter. You don't often get much foam with it, just lots of fizzy bubbles. It leaves wines more fruity. I use it a lot with aromatic whites from grapes.

grapeman - fizzy is good description for how it was fermenting. thanks.

I racked it off this morning and we will let it continue its process.

Latest posts

Back