Is it too late for a Holiday Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! so many ideas! I think I'll do them all. I have nothing but time on my hands (usually).
I'll get the the pomegranate kit so I HAVE to buy a new carboy.
And... I will make the tweak on the Muscadine. I am so exited!
Thanks big dogs!:snta

:) so appreciative. Your a good women!! Im excited for you!!

I'd like to see that recipe. Do you have a link?

No link but I will try and share it. It was only my second or third bath from scratch and was a work in progress as it went along. I would cut back on the total spices a bit.

Date began(day 1) 2/16/2013
time 2:00 PM
ingredients
16 cans %100 apple juice concentrate from Wal Mart
water to 6.25 gallons
stir well
Sg 1.5
added 4 lbs Brown Sugar, 2.5 lbs white sugar
Sg 1.82
added 1 TS Pectic Enzyme
Added 6 Campden Tablets
Temp was 55
raised to
Day 2
Time

comments after advice from wine talk I decided to add 9.5lbs apples cored and diced into 1.5 inch pieces. Medium french oak
(Granny smith, braeburn, fuji) 1/3 ea
5 tsp of yeasty nutrient and 2 of energizer
1 tsp of tartaric acid to lower expected PH level. I currently have no method of measuring acid or ph
2 lbs of Raisins
changed yeast to cotes du blanc added 1and 1/4 package.
2 cinnammon sticks, 1 tsp ground clove
Temp must 65f
Day 4
Time 7:00 PM liz pushed down and checked hydrometer

Day 5 7pm liz pushed down
comments said beginning to smell of cheap wine
Day 7
time 6:30 PM
temp
comment Fermentation well under way, nice aroma, SG down to 1.070
pushed down.
Day 8
time 9am
temp 75
comment lots of fizz
time pm 8:00 PM more fizz sg down to 1.04
Day 9
time 12:30 PM
must temp 75
air temp 68
comment Fermintation is gong real strong as shown by the SG dropping
removed 1 gallon to make room for more fruit. Set aside for future caping off and sweetening
sweetness is receeding alcohol commimg forward acidity receeding as well. Fruityness is there. I cant yet Identify the raisins or oak.

added 4.5 lbs same mix of apples and 1/4 lb raisins in bag.
Added cap and vapor lock for first time.
Day 14
Time 2;45 pm
temp
air temp 68
comments Very dry, some Apple flavor remains more should come forward with time. Racked to Carbow added 1/4 tsp Kmeta, 1 Tsp K sorbate
Added 1 Ggallon back to carboy and still need to top off.
Day 15
time 11am
temp
air temp 68
TA .6-.7
comments Racke dfrom carboy to bucket and back, floating jetsam? Biter taste. Will degas and top off tomorrow

Day 21
time 7pm
temp
air temp
TA
comments some jetsam on top. Starting to clear
Day 22
time 12 noon Degassed no noticeable bubbles. at first after 5 -8 hits it started to realease

Day 23
time 4pm
Bench test should need 4 cups sugar and 1 cup apple pie spice.
Start with half these measures when the time comes

day 30 racked to primary,
Added syrup of 3 cups sugar, 2 cups h2o, 2 TBs ofApple pie spice
mixed and racked back to carboy.
May have been a little early but needed to top up a bit and wanted to move to closet for long term aging
tasted before and after syrup. Fruit SLOWLY coming forward.
probably will need mor syrup before bottleing
could not get spices to dissolve, hope they will be absorbed over time
broke another hydrometer, could not test SG
Day 38 Tated after 1 week in closet, Fruit coming forward nicely. I cant wait for 6 months in aging.
Average temp in clost 59
This may taste too good to apple jack

closet temp is varying as the season changes
26-Apr
8:00 PM Tasted, Cinnamon and clove is very forward apple is there in background. Nice body and color.

May 18th Racked, added 1/4 tsp K-Meta,

Tasted, clove taste forward, apple in background. Color clear yellow.
30-Jun
Tasted spice still forward
August 10th Tasted 1 wine thief in a glass. Spices receded nicely. I could bottle this now but will probably rack and kmeta for 2 more months. Then bottle mid Oct.
Still a tad Hot. Perhap topping with a straight apple juice would be best.
8/11/2013 Racked , tasted 1/2 cup. From middle of carboy. Spice back but appple kinda weak.
Addded Kmeta
SG Tests TA
day
1 1.082
2 1.09
4 1.09
5 1.09
7 1.07
8 1.05 9am
1.04 8pm
9 1.02 12:30 PM 1 gallon
14 0.992 0.992
15 .6-.7

i know i am getting in here a little late, i have a recipe for a cranberry port...I have not used it, but the maker says its excellent.. he has a bog about 19 miles north of milwaukee, wis.makes it every year.
will share if you want it.

Dave I really commend your note taking.:b I have yet to start doing that. The recipe looks really good and I think it would be possible for next year. IT might be too late for this year.
I think the apple pie spice is where you went a little haywire. When making an actual apple pie, usually not more than 1-2 teaspoons it used. It also contains cinnamon, nutmeg and clove among a few other spices that you added in addition to the pie spice. That is probably where the strong spices are coming from. I may omit that and just go with a little more of the individual spices.

James; hold off on the cranberry port. I think I'm going to try that chocolate one everyone is raving about.

no matter what you make, its yours, you made it, and you can be proud of it....good luck in what ever you make, and you know. help is always here when you need it...

I started taking notes with my first batch. It really helps the learning curve, especially when coupled with this site. I use Excel, I guess I could have just attached the file now that I think about it.
I could be more orderly with them but it works for me. I have another sheet someone on here shared but I can't get it to upload.
Called "winemakers log"

Last edited:
That's what I need. An Excel file. Most of the ones I've seen are a pdf for printing and filling out. I don't think I remember how to write by hand.
I'm going to try and find yours. thanks!

Latest posts

Back